by stevepercey
Explorer

Hello there. I have a query about obtaining a new SIM for 4GEE Home Router

Hello

I have just started using the 4GEE Home broadband service. I live quite rurally, so i cannot benefit from the phone line, fibre options, but the 4G EE mobile signal in my local area is really good so this is a significant step forward for me and replaces a less efficient and much slower existing service from a local broadband supplier with broadband supplied through a phone mast.

As the house i live in has thick stone walls and a few floors i have also purchased a higher spec 'unlocked' router (from Amazon) to throw the signal that does come into the house around more efficiently.

The EE router (which is working well, no complaints) uses the supplied Nano SIM. This other router which I want to use instead uses a Mini SIM. So i need another EE SIM to put in there as the Nano is one size too small. I will stop using the supplied router at that point

Question: Can I use any EE SIM that I can pick up from an EE shop/ or a supermarket etc or do i need a specific one which i would need to get from EE directly? If the latter, how do i go about requesting one please?

The existing SIM is working fine, but as it is one size too small i need to replace it in order to benefit from the functionality of the bigger router. I am on the £55 a month 18 month contract deal

Thanks in advance

Steve

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

Re: Hello there. I have a query about obtaining a new SIM for 4GEE Home Router

Hi Steve, the good news is there are lots of ways to get a mini-SIM to work in your router.

Probably the easiest way is to use an adaptor which converts a nano-SIM into a mini-SIM. Most SIMs supermarkets cell contain a nano-SIM in a mini-SIM adaptor, inside a standard SIM adaptor, which is how they can supply one SIM that can fit all devices. You would simply remove the nano SIM and the normal adaptor from the mini adaptor, leaving the mini-adaptor and then place your SIM in the mini adaptor and then place that in your router. Hope this makes sense!

What you could do is to buy a SIM pack from a supermarket and then use the SIM adaptor inside to convert from a nano SIM to a mini-SIM. This is what I do a lot.

The other option is to go into an EE store with ID and ask them to do a SIM swap and they should be able to provide you an equivalent mini-SIM. 

With the adaptor approach, you could easily take off the mini SIM adaptor if you wanted to use the EE router again. Although, having said that, EE will probably provide a nano SIM in a mini-SIM adaptor!

Let us know if you have any questions and how you get on.

3 REPLIES 3
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

Hi Steve, the good news is there are lots of ways to get a mini-SIM to work in your router.

Probably the easiest way is to use an adaptor which converts a nano-SIM into a mini-SIM. Most SIMs supermarkets cell contain a nano-SIM in a mini-SIM adaptor, inside a standard SIM adaptor, which is how they can supply one SIM that can fit all devices. You would simply remove the nano SIM and the normal adaptor from the mini adaptor, leaving the mini-adaptor and then place your SIM in the mini adaptor and then place that in your router. Hope this makes sense!

What you could do is to buy a SIM pack from a supermarket and then use the SIM adaptor inside to convert from a nano SIM to a mini-SIM. This is what I do a lot.

The other option is to go into an EE store with ID and ask them to do a SIM swap and they should be able to provide you an equivalent mini-SIM. 

With the adaptor approach, you could easily take off the mini SIM adaptor if you wanted to use the EE router again. Although, having said that, EE will probably provide a nano SIM in a mini-SIM adaptor!

Let us know if you have any questions and how you get on.

by stevepercey
Explorer

Thankyou Peter

This is the solution i'm looking for brilliant

Best Regards

Steve

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @stevepercey.

Welcome to the community.

I'm glad that @Peter_C's advice has answered your question.

If you have any more questions, feel free to come back to the community any time 🙂

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.