by jellystones Investigator
Investigator

Fluctuating 4g gab usage.

I have a 4g router. I have had wildly fluctuating usage over the almost 2 months we have been using it but I put this down to getting used to how we use data. This month we have been monitoring the usage carefully and have been managing much better, until the last half of the month when the usage has increased despite us not doing anything differently from the first part of the month. The best example is last week week streamed 2 programmes and that used 4.1gb data. Yesterday we streamed 2 more of the same series, same definition and length of programme and they used 6.1gb data. Can anyone help please.

6 REPLIES
by Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

Re: Fluctuating 4g gab usage.

Hello and welcome to the community.

Were any other devices connected at the time and were there any updates going on?

Video providers can have multiple versions of the content at the same resolution but at different bitrates. Depending on the speed of your connection, a different bitrate copy may be chosen which will affect the amount of data that will be used. 

Investigator

No, we have been very careful about disconnecting phones etc from Wi-fi,
Thanks for replying

Sent from my iPhone
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jellystones,

Welcome to the EE Community.

As @Peter_C said, most video on demand providers will automatically vary the playback quality depending on your current connection speed.

Depending on which app/service you are using, you may be able to manually adjust the playback quality in your settings to reduce data usage.

Thanks

James

Investigator

That makes sense thank you very much, we will have to monitor more closely.

Investigator

Thanks James, that does make sense. We did have a much higher usage than expected over the weekend whic( we cant explain, but I will have to keep a closer eye on what we are streaming. 

by
EE Community Support Team

No problem @jellystones

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions.

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.