by Alan-Giddins Investigator
Investigator

EE Home WiFi router xobxone "double NAT issue

I purchased a 4GEE Home WiFI hub and its works well and I am very pleased with it. However my daughter's Xbox One has an issue called "Double NAT" (Network Addressing Translation) which results in STRICT NAT setting on the Xbox blocking online gaming. We need to achieve an OPEN NAT setting.

I have tried all the Microsoft fixes but they did not owrk and the last options are a wried connection to the EE Home hub or adding the Xbox static IP address.

I have access to it but can see how to do it?

Thanks, Alan

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: EE Home WiFi router xobxone "double NAT issue

I don't believe you can force a device to have a fixed IP from within the router itself & thus you will need to fix it in the XBox itself.

Have you set up port forwarding or virtual server in the router for the XBox?

I can't see that it'll make any diff whether the device is wired or wireless.

You may be up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks for your reply.

How do I setup port forwarding or virtual server? What does this achieve?

At the moment the xbox is using a wifi connection to the EE Home router.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Port Forwarding / Virtual Server opens ports of your XBox so that others outside may access it unsolicited. EE 4G Home Router + PS4 Connection may provide a clue.

When you talk about the "EE Home router" are you talking about the 4GEE Home Router or about the EE fixed BB home router?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Yes sorry I am speaking about the 4GEE Home Router (with SIM card in it).

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.