Make your house a smart home - with help from EE
Highlighted
by android12 Contributor
Contributor

EE Auto WiFi not working with iPhone 6s

I have an iPhone 6S direct from EE on contract. Ever since I received it, I've had issues with WiFi on the London Underground. At first, I couldn't even connect to the open "Virgin Media WiFi" network, but I rang up the technicial team and they reset my service and I am now able to connect to this network fine. However, this is quite inconvenient as you have to manually connect each time, so you can be shown an advert. When I try to connect to the "EE WiFi-Auto" network, which is supposed to "just work" with an iPhone, I'm told to enter username and password. I have called EE about this issue but nothing they suggested could help and was told that the "EE WiFi-Auto" network doesn't work.

I'm very fustrated because my previous phone which was an unlocked Nexus 5X worked perfectly, despite my having bought it elsewhere. What can I do to connect to this network? Does this network even work?

14 REPLIES
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: EE Auto WiFi not working with iPhone 6s

Hello there @android12

Thanks for coming to the community.

Are you with us on pay as you go or pay monthly?

Also, is your iPhone software up to date?

Speak soon, Leanne Smiley Happy

by android12 Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm on Pay Monthly. It's up to date on iOS 11.3.1. I've tried resetting
the network settings, but it's possible I don't have the latest carrier
settings but I'm not sure that's in my control.
by

Hi @android12

Please try and update your carrier settings by following this advice.

Many thanks,

Lee 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@android12  Update your device to 11.4 as it came out yesterday and to check if there is a carrier update just go to Settings>General>About.  If there is an update it will pop up here and ask you if you want to install it. 

by android12 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris,

This explanation doesn’t make sense, because you clearly shouldn’t need the very latest iOS version for the EE WiFi-Auto network to work. If I’m wrong and this is the case, EE should explain this on their website.

EE “may” issue a carrier update with the new iOS version but there is definitely no reason why that has to be the case. Carrier settings are a separate matter as far as I understand and quite distinct from Apple.

It may be that I don’t have the latest carrier settings but I have found no explanation anywhere of

a) how to find out if I have the latest version
b) how to get the latest if I don’t

Alex
by

Hi @android12

We would always recommend making sure that you're on the latest software and carrier settings when having a problem with software/useablilty. 

It is part of our troubleshooting process.

Thanks

Chris

by android12 Contributor
Contributor

Fair enough. Just updated to iOS 11.4, but I still cannot connect to the
EE WiFi-Auto network.
by

OK, thanks for trying that, @android12.

Did you search for the carrier update? 

Tap Settings > General > About.

I only ask as this is one of the questions our technical support team would ask.

Chris

by android12 Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I 've done that already. I've also tried resetting network settings (which is rather annoying as it deletes all your wifi network passwords). Still no change.

I have also tried 2 sim cards. First using the one I originally had (which I sucessfully connected to the EE WiFi-Auto network using my Nexus 5X), and the new one which came with the iPhone. I was unbale to connect to the EE WiFi-Auto network with either with my iPhone. This leads me to believe this is a phone settings issue.

I wouldn't mind so much if I had bought the phone myself, but I bought it from EE! They even show Kevin Bacon using WiFi calling in the adverts on an iPhone! And every time I ring technical support, I just get told to do the same things over and over which haven't fixed the issue.

by

Thanks for confirming, @android12.

I've sent you a private message asking for some more information.

Please take a look and get back to me.

Thanks

Chris 

by android12 Contributor
Contributor

In order to help anyone else suffering WiFi issues, this is what happened:

• I was put through to the tech team again by the community rep
  • They tried resetting my WiFi service (this time leaving it off for a full 24 Hrs) which still didn't work
  • The issue was raised the next level
  • I was rung again today and told the engineers did something, and it now works!

It ended up taking a couple of weeks to get it resolved.

I can confirm the EE Auto Wifi does work, so ignore them if the person on the phone tells you otherwise.

You also need to be patient, and let them go through all the debugging steps so they'll raise the issue to the next level.

by

Hi @android12,

This is great news!

Thanks for the update. Smiley Happy

James

by android12 Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, after a few days, my phone is again unaable to connect to the EE WiFi-Auto network. I have now given up trying to get this to work as clearly there are severe problems on the EE side. I know if I ring again, I'll just be told to try a Network Refresh or Reset Network Settings for the gazillionth time which still won't fix it. Very dissaponting from the UKs supposed "best" network.

TLDR: I think you should consider yourself lucky if your phone can connect to EE WiFi-Auto. If it doesn't, then just leave it and use the Virgin Media network.

And moderators, please don't mark this as a solution, as there is no solution.

by

Hi @android12,

I'm sorry to hear your WiFi issue has reoccurred.

If you would like our technical team to take another look at it, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.