by DrBigB Established Contributor
Established Contributor

EE 4G Home Broadband Streaming issue with Humax HDR-1100S set top box

I have recently changed to EE 4G home broadband service. I am using the supplied router and, apart from changing it's default IP address, it is using default settings.

I am very pleased with the networks performance achieving downloadspeeds betweek 40-70 mbs. Unfortunatley I have discovered an unusual probelm streaming to my Humax set top box.

The problem starets when I try to stream Netflix. After a short time the service hangs, and when I try to use BBC iplayer it then has the same problem. If I start by first using iplayer it works fine. I have to power down the device and restart it to fix iplayer. I have had to stop using netflix.

The set top box is connected by a LAN cable using the inbuilt DHCP client. There is ample bandwidth for streaming.

Strangely I can stream these services to other devices I own. A smart TV and laptop.

I do not think the set top box is faulty, as the problem has appeared since changing the EE 4G.

I think this is a networking issue. I have tried setting the router to IPv4 only, but this did not help.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
by
EE Employee

Re: EE 4G Home Broadband Streaming issue with Humax HDR-1100S set top box

Hi @DrBigB and welcome to the community.

Can other devices stream the applications whilst connected to the 4G router?

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Hi Lee

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Other devices can stream Netflicx, BBC iplayer, 5OD etc.

It's just the Humax set top box that has the problem.

I think I will take the set top box to a friends house and test it; just in case it has developed a fault coinciding with the move to EE 4G WiFi.

I will post the outcome when I have had the chance to do this.

Regards

by
EE Community Support Team

Please keep us updated @DrBigB

I would also reach out to the manufacturer of your set top box to see if they are aware of any issues when connecting over 4G.

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

Hi

I took the set top box to work where I have a FTTC broadband connection. The set top box worked flawlesly.

I have also checked my home wiring and no faults found.

I am afraid it appears there is a compatibility issue between this device and either EE4G WiFi or EE4G home router.

Humax set top boxes are very common so it would be interesting to know is any other EE4G users are having any problems.

I will keep investigating but as the set top box, and the EE home router, have no networking options I doubt I will get very far. 

I will post again if I find a solution.

Thanks

by
EE Employee

Hi @DrBigB

Can I get you to try one more thing?

Pop your router SIM into in phone and connected the set-top box via hotspot.

Does this work?

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Hi

I have an EE sim card in my phone already, so I connected set top box to iphone hot spot without swaping the sim cart from the router. 

The testing revealed that the problem was reproduced exactly the same using the iphone hot spot.

Hope that helps. Thanks for you interest.

by

Thanks for the update @DrBigB

Have you been able to contact the manufacturer to see if they can offer any advice?

James

Established Contributor

I posted the problem on the Humax Forum a few days ago and so far no solution found.

I suspect this is related to Carrier grade NAT employed on the 4G network confusing some devices.

Somehow I missed this thread when I searched for a solution before posting my message.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Apple/Problem-with-Netflix-on-Apple-TV-via-EE-4G/td-p/513243/page/3

So it appears I am not alone, and other devices are affected.  EE really need to investigate this issue as streaming services are one of the main reasons people need better broadband, and therefore switch to EE 4G.

Sorry for duplicating the same problem on the forum.

by

Hey @DrBigB

Don't apologise, you've got to ask questions to get the support you are looking for and I certainly hope you get the support you need.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Established Contributor

After polietly pressing Humax, because their inital reply was inadequate, here is their final answer:-

Regardless of whether the 4G broadband is designed for home use, the connection is different and the Humax units are not designed to maintain this connection.

I understand that this is disappointing, and on top of that, that 4G broadband services for the home are growing in popularity. As I've said, I do find it important that this will be forwarded on but in the meantime there is nothing else that we can suggest other than to connect the unit to a wireless network.

Thanks again,

Meadhbh
Humax Customer Support

If anyone else has Humax streaming issues using EE 4G home broadband please report it to their customer services. The more people that do so the more lkely it is they may attempt to address this in a firmware update. Here is the URL of Humax customer services:-

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/contact-us/

Good luck

by Kawayuppie
Explorer

Hi,

Just found this thread as I just recently got a HUMAX HB-1100S to replace an existing Sat STB. I am also having problems with Netflix and other servers with the HUMAX box and 4GEE.

However Netflix and all other streaming and OD services work just fine with my Sony PS4, Sony Bravia TV, iPads, Laptops. All on the same router with EE 4G. 

Just the HUMAX does not play nice.

I will log a report with HUMAX, as suggested to see if they take note.

I live on a boat, so I have to use mobile wireless, such as EE 4G etc.

Established Contributor

Hi

The more people who log a support enquiry the more like they are to do something about it.

You can solve the Netflix, on Humax, problem using a VPN (but you will need another router that supports a VPN client). But beware the VPN can cause other problems. I got Netflix working on the Humax, using a VPN, only to find BBC iplayer would not work. However that was propably a quirk of the VPN provider I was using. 

In the end I purchased an amazon firestick which works well and supports all the popular streaming services. So in future, the next time I need a satellite receiver I will not be buying Humax if I am still on EE 4G home broadband.

by Kawayuppie
Explorer

Thank you for the suggestions tips.

I have a TP-LINK running Gargoyle router software which is then connected to the EE 4G home broadband router. Gargoyle supports VPNs.

I also have a Huawei B315 4G router set up for EE 4G. So I guess can play around a bit if I get the chance.

I only went for the HUMAX because the Freesat software is easier to drive and quicker to get up and running for the rest of the crew. I still have a none freesat box in my cabin.

Established Contributor

I don't think the ee router supports bridge mode, although there was a firware update a few months ago which may have addressed this. If not, you may run into double (or triple) NAT issues. EE 4g home broadband provides a double NAT internet connection. This prevents connecting to your home network from the intenet unless you use a VPN.

I use an ASUS 4G-AC68U AC1900 LTE Modem Router. It works well but if I were purchasing a router at this time I would buy a 4g modem, that support bridge mode, and pair it with an Asus router that supports merlin firmware. 

I must say I have not tried the Asus/merlin combination but I know the merlin firmware supports split routing which would be a big advantage to my stock router. Additionally the combination would be cheaper than my stock router.

However if you set up a VPN that may bypass the problem.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.