cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Data only SIMs

MWwoman
Contributor
Contributor

We have a "data only" SIM in a TP-LINK router, which provides us with our home broadband. It works fine. The only problem is that we're capped at 50GB/month, and with the advent of covid-19 and Zoom conferences this is no longer enough. We were able to buy one 10GB extension, but we're now nearly through that and the system won't let us buy any more. In an (annoying) conversation with an EE telephone advisor we were told that if we totally exhausted our quota (50 + 10 extension) we would then be able to buy another extension - but that's no use if you're in the middle of a video conference!

So, we'd like to increase our monthly quota. But we're having terrible trouble trying to do this. We did see what looked like a good deal - unlimited GB for £34 a month - but when we tried to get this, the advisor told us it probably wouldn't work in a router as it was really designed for a mobile 'phone! Can anybody comment on the truth, or otherwise, of this?

The deal we saw is at -

https://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phone-deals/sim-only-deals

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@MWwoman wrote:

We did see what looked like a good deal - unlimited GB for £34 a month - but when we tried to get this, the advisor told us it probably wouldn't work in a router as it was really designed for a mobile 'phone! Can anybody comment on the truth, or otherwise, of this?

That is balderdash! Networks are not allowed to restrict which devices you can put any SIM in. It breaks all Net-Neutrality rules.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
MWwoman
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, I have the same problem. I have already bought one 10 GB add-on this month, but I now need another one for a video conference this evening. The normal Buy Data page isn't offering me the option of buying another add-on. Help!

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @MWwoman

Welcome to the community.

Could you check which options are available in your My EE account?

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for that. I've just checked on My EE and it's saying "there are no add-ons available for this plan".

This is the first time I've tried to buy extra data more than once in the same month (I'm on a 50 GB a month allowance) - is there a block on going back for more than one top up in the same month?
Christopher_G

Do you have an active spend cap, @MWwoman?

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for suggesting that. I've just checked that out and we did have one, which I've removed. I'll give it some more time and then try again.

Christopher_G

Brilliant, @MWwoman.

Let me know if it works please. 🙂

Chris

No joy, alas - the Buy Data page is still not giving me the option of buying another add-on

Christopher_G

OK thanks for trying, @MWwoman

It may be worth speaking to our Mobile Care team so that they can find out why you're not able to purchase an add-on and see what's available from our side.

Chris

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@MWwoman wrote:

We did see what looked like a good deal - unlimited GB for £34 a month - but when we tried to get this, the advisor told us it probably wouldn't work in a router as it was really designed for a mobile 'phone! Can anybody comment on the truth, or otherwise, of this?

That is balderdash! Networks are not allowed to restrict which devices you can put any SIM in. It breaks all Net-Neutrality rules.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)