Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Re: Data cap on 4g home hub In Corona virus context

Is this really the response from EE Christopher_G?

In this time of global crisis up your payments and we will  give you more data.

Reason - wow we can make a real big  profit from what’s going on in the world today by exploiting all our users and making them pay more.

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Yourstr

The help page I've posted and advice to use WiFi when possible should help manage data allowance. There are some fantastic tips on there on how to do so.

As I mentioned, the Mobile Care team will be able to look what options there are to up the data allowance, if needed.

You can find information on what we're doing to keep services up and running, keep you connected and keep our employees safe on our coronavirus help page

We are constantly reviewing this to continue to support our customers. We will keep this page updated with the latest information.

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

This from BT coronavirus response page

We’ll help you with costs

We’re removing all caps on all of our broadband packages so every customer has unlimited data during this time.

For our BT landline-only customers we will cap the charges of calls to all UK landlines and mobiles to £5 a month, so they can make the calls they need to without worrying about their bill. (This doesn’t include international calls and premium calls).

We’ve also made all visits to the NHS online free, so you won’t use any data while accessing information (even if you’ve already run out completely). And as always, calling 111 is free.

EE would appear to be taking a very different path - for what reasons?

Highlighted
by
Explorer

Hi, I was in this situation, but realised I could just order a mobile SIM with unlimited data, and plug that into the router. My 500gb contract is almost up, so I went ahead and did that, and will now cancel that in April. It works perfectly. Good luck!

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Taylorjohn10,  Did you get the 4gee mobile sim with unlimited data from EE?

Or where?

Highlighted
by
Explorer

Hi,

Yes, I called EE and ordered it. It costs £34 per month.

Cheers,

John

xxxx xxxxxx
Mobile: +xx xxxx xxxxxx

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Thank you John worth exploring, interesting that we were not told of this option when we bought the box

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Many thanks for this thread. It is frustrating that you can't even up the monthly data allowance on the website for a 4gee router without ordering a new one! (you can only order high cost bolt ons) but also I was unaware you could plug in a mobile unlimited sim. EE should be honest and make this clear rather than trying to market two products at a different cost for the same thing. Very poor practice I think.

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

I whole heartedly agree Sean, 

Interestingly I can’t seem to get EE people on this thread to take any responsibility or accountability for this on behalf of EE, especially in this time of CVid- 19 .. 

also their partner BT seem to be doing much much better on this front

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Whilst frustrating that this anomaly exists. I phoned `ee today and they immediately transferred my router package to the unlimited `SIM contract.

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Sean, amazing I never thought to do that ..

did they transfer router package to unlimited sim

a) on the same SIM card ie you I did not have to install a new sim?

b) without any extra charge to you?

c)  which part of EE did you connect with to do this Sales? Tech Support? other?

Thank you

Robin

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Yes! same sim card and reduction to £32/month all up and running within 5 minutes. I just rang the help desk as you couldn't do it on line. Despite the crisis I was only on hold for about 5 minutes.

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

On Help desk  sales? Or tech support? Or what?

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Yourstr

If you are looking to change the amount of data for your SIM it would be our customer service team who can help with this. 

Katie 🙂

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

I just rang the 0800 number and went through the plethora of options! 4Gee account queries I think it started off as.

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Ok phoned EE, 15 minute wait..

1) The max data plan  for my HUAWEI 525 router is 500GB EE Cannot cannot change that.

2) I can get an (extra) unlimited Data sim (sent to me, so different sim) cost would be £32.50 per month

3) My current plan does not end till Jan 2021 so EE needs me to pay that monthly £32.50 as well as current payment  or buy out  current plan in lump sum approx  £475.00

So EE want their money, just a shame I was not at end of plan.. 

Will monitor my usage.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.