Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Data cap on 4g home hub In Corona virus context

I use an EE 4G home hub. It has a 500GB monthly cap and I would pay more if I go over.

Given the social effects of Corona virus, is EE planning to lift monthly data caps?

I believe other suppliers are addressing this.

What are EE’s plans to address this?

35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Data cap on 4g home hub In Corona virus context

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Thank you that link did not provide the clarity I am after

BT say the following on their coronavirus information “We’re removing all caps on all of our broadband packages so every customer has unlimited data during this time” 

My Question to EE:-

I Have a Huawei B525 4gee home hub router and a 500GB monthly plan. Will you be removing  the 500GB cap on my plan so I have unlimited data as per BT?

Can you please answer this specific query?

Thank you for your attention to this

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Yourstr

Welcome to the community.

You can read advice and what we're doing to help on the link that @Chris_B posted.

If anything changes, we'll update that page.

Chris

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Yourstr   At present no because if that was going to happen it would be provided in the link I’ve linked in my post.  

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Christopher.

To be clear then, EE are not following BT in allowing uncapped data allowances at this current time.

Is that the status on 22/03/20?

It does seem a little strange that BT and EE are differing on this, can you perhaps find out the reason for me (and others) please.

Thank you Robin

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Any answer yet?

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

I’m in the same situation, we are using far more data just to keep an eye on the news and in contact with family and loved ones, surely they should lift the or at least double the data for the next few months! This would really help a lot of families who are stuck without conventional broadband in a rural environment.

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Please answer this question: 

Why Have BT removed data cap in this time where everyone is at home and using way more Data per month, and EE have not?

What are the specific reasons EE have chosen not to remove the data cap?

Is EE exploiting the situation for their own profit?

The Message to all of us from UK Government is Stay at Home, which we are doing.

BT is helping us, thank you.

EE apparently are helping themselves to profit and not us by, as I said, exploiting the situation.

Should we take the pathway of the Press to get an answer?

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

For clarity, it appears BT have removed limits from low usage fixed line services such as ADSL, and you want EE to follow suit and remove the 500GB limit from your 4G provided service? 

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Yes remove the cap

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Wow, that’s an awful lot of “Working”.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ewanrw   Did you hear about THIS  haha. Watching in HD will use up your data. 😆

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

We are a family living in isolation in the middle of nowhere with limited BT internet and rely on EE, now that we are all here we are using more internet to keep in contact with friends and family and keep entertained! And running out of data quickly. So some help would be great! 

Highlighted
by

Hi and welcome to the community, @Adam48

We understand that if you’re self isolating, you may use your phone more than normal. Please consider using WiFi instead of mobile data, where possible. If that’s not available, we have some brilliant hints and tips on managing your mobile data on our how much data am I using article

If you do need to add more data, you can do so through your My EE account or the add-on status checker.

If you'd like to discuss changing your plan to up your monthly data allowance, our Mobile Care team will be able to help you with that.

Chris

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Christopher_G 

It's got nothing to do with the phone, mobile data! it's our home 4G broadband from you!! Again as I said, we are in a rural environment, have next to no normal broadband from BT, that's why we use EE, which is normally fine but being all at home, does eat through the data.

But by the looks of your response EE probably won't do anything to help.

Maybe you could offer a higher monthly limit for a small fee?

Highlighted
by

Sorry, I mistyped @Adam48.

Our Mobile Care team are in a better position to help you. They have access to your account and will be able to see which plans are available to you.

Chris

Highlighted
by
Explorer

So so poor from EE. A real brand damager. We are all told to stay home, we live in rural areas and have to already pay over the odds for this 4g broadband. already I have a sim only contract with unlimited data on my mobile from Three, for £15 a month!!!! Yet, for this service I pay £60 a month, for 300gb. Now, in this time of crisis, where I have to work from home, do video conferences, use Cisco over internet calling etc, keep a family entertained and educated, and I need more data, I have to wait until it runs out to find out exactly my how much I'm going to get ripped off. As soon as another option for broadband in my area arrives, I'm long gone.

Highlighted
by

Hi @hettie36. I'm really sorry to hear that.

Have you spoken to our Mobile Care team to see if there are any other price plans that you could change to?

There may be one that more suits your needs.

Chris

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Exactly the point hettie36 👍

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions