by KHT Investigator
Investigator

DMZ

Where my parents live, BT has dreadful DSL but EE has 100Mbps 4G broadband. They have therefore dropped BT in favour of EE. I help look after the network and there is a lot of stuff going on, so we use a Draytek router with the WAN2 port fed from the EE router. It works well.

I am trying to get remote access. I have tried port forwarding. No luck. I have also tried switching on the DMZ and pointing that to the WAN2 IP address of the draytek router (192.168.0.229). This too does not work.

I spoke to Draytek and they think EE are doing something weird. The public IP is reported as 213.205.XXX.XXX (hidden for security reasons!). I get this by going to www.whatmyip.net. i.e this is the IP address that people will see requests coming from. The EE Lan network is 192.168.0.1-254 and the Draytek lan is 192.168.1.1.254.

The thing which is confusing me *(and Draytek) is that EE is reporting the WAN IP as being in the 100 range. It seems as if the 213.205.XXX.XXX is the public IP of EEs border gateway and they then hand out 100 rnge IPs to their routers. This would mean EE would have to do the NAT (which they won't).

The frustrating thing is that no one at EE 'support' has a clue how to do anything more than the absolute basics and they don't even have anyone they can ask.

Since EE 'support;' are useless for these soerts of things, does anyone here have a clue how to resolve this?

One suggestion may be to use a 4G USB dongle in the WAN3 port of the Dratek. Does anyone know if that would resolve the double NAT issue? Does anyone else think that major ISPs should employ some tech people who actually know something about networking and not just how to reset a forgotten password. The last chap I spoke to thought that 192.168.0.1.,was a code and not an IP address. Really? 

PastedGraphic-1.png

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: DMZ

You've come up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

Yes, wholeheartedly! ISPs should employ tech staff who understand networking in detail, but they don't. Instead they employ staff with no technical nous. Still, you get what you pay for. You need to go to a top-ranking ISP for that, but I doubt there is any in the mobile arena.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by KHT Investigator
Investigator

Thank you for the response. This is what I suspected. I assume then that using a 4G USB dongle would make no difference.

I think that it is pathetic that support staff do not know of these limitations or at least have someone they could ask. 

Since the router they sell you is an EE product, why on earth does it have DMZ and NAT? And why does it not warn you that these features are there but they are totally useless? EE routers are a bit like their support staff. Lots of use in theory with plenty of possibilities but when it comes down to it, very limited.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, not if the dongle is on the EE network.

NAT is needed for outgoing requests to direct the responses back to them. DMZ is also for outgoing clients.

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by KHT Investigator
Investigator

Thank you. That

Jason

[Mod edit: Please do not post personal information such as your address in this public forum. Thanks]

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.