cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Changing the SSID and Wifi Key on a mini Wifi unit.

TCA
Explorer

Just received my new mini WiFi unit and I cannot change the SSID or the WiFi Key.

EE Tech support say it can't be done but I'm pretty sure it can as:

A. Page 17 of the manual says it can and has the options.

B. On my previous Osprey unit you could do it.

When I go to change these details, I get some copy in red pop up (yes I am including the right number of characters and numbers) underneath the Wifi Key box, this is as per the attached (page 17 in the document guide) 

Has anyone changed the SSID and the WiFi Key and if so, how?

I have tried doing a factory reset on the box but to no avail.

Thanks

Tom

Page 17 of Document.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@TCA : Please spell out the Red Writing.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@XRaySpeX

WPA pre-shared key (PSK) should be between 8-63 characters. WPA PSK should be between 32-127 characters, not including: , " : ; \ &.

Also see attached for clarity.

EE 2.jpg

It's not clear. That's why I asked you to spell it out.

That's a contradictory statement! What if you made the pwd 32 chars long?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@XRaySpeX 

Good q, just tried that and it doesn't work.

jamesmacwhite
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

That message is coming from the translation string "ids_wlan_wpaKeyRule" in the firmware. It looks like a poor translation job, possibly inherited from the Alcatel firmware. It's also present on the 4GEE Home Router and is very contradictory!

There seems to be a form validator rule hooked into the WPA key field which is perhaps doing more validation than it should be, however I was able to have the WPA key field accept several test strings like:

• nn33Rh0V4*5BEm*z
  • dXv9t8B3yYLv30*G
  • r0Ye3W4SEW#3aUl9

Do any of those work for you? It's possible EE might have restricted the ability to change it in the firmware, but that would seem bizarre, there's no logical reason why you would.

@jamesmacwhite : Maybe it's trying to say "Must include a non-alphanumeric char. but not including:" , " : ; \ & ". All yours do!

jamesmacwhite
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@XRaySpeX Indeed. It's a bit funky, it's unclear what exactly the JS form validator is really doing or asking for. I also found "Password123" was accepted (although, please no one use that ever, test purpose only!)

I think it definitely wants uppercase and lowercase characters and possibly a number as a minimum. Per the WPA2 spec, the length needs to be 8 character minimum regardless, then it appears down to the form validation in the firmware. It seems to accept symbols and characters even though the error validator message states don't use so of them in those test strings.

"UpPeRcAse1" also worked for me on the 4GEE Home Router. Different hardware I know, but the firmware seems pretty similar.