by JetA1 Contributor
Contributor

Cannot connect to www.aviationweather.gov on 4G

Hi,

I have a 4GEE WiFi sim in an iPhone 6.

I am unable to connect to the website http://www.aviationweather.gov when on 4G. The connection times out after a long wait.

The same website is working on WiFi and on other mobile networks using the same phone.

Is EE blocking this website for some reason?

Best Regards,

Peter

30 REPLIES 30
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Cannot connect to www.aviationweather.gov on 4G

@JetA1 It works for me on cellular do EE are not blocking it. 

100C2D53-7532-4683-BCBF-B3B5E5BA57B8.png

Try clearing your browser history by going to Settings>Safari>Clear history and website data. 

by JetA1 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @Chris_B, that's good to know. Clearing history didn't fix the problem for me unfortunately.

I believe this is a DNS issue. I downloaded the free app "ISC Dig" for testing and I get no response from the EE DNS when trying to resolve "www.aviationweather.gov". When using the Google Public DNS 8.8.8.8, resolving works on EE 4G.

The EE DNS I'm assigned is 109.249.185.228. Can you check which DNS you are using?

Regards,

Peter

by Grand Master
Grand Master

by JetA1 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @Chris_B, I get a name server in the 46.68.XX.XX range too with this website. However, this seems to be the DNS server that eventually handles the request, not necessarily the DNS server that was first contacted. I'm not sure my request gets this far so I'd like to find the first contacted server.

The only way I found so far to find out which server is being contacted first is to use the "ISC Dig" app I mentioned earlier. At the bottom of the reply is a line ( SERVER: ) saying which DNS server was initially contacted.

It would be extremely helpful if you could use this (free) app to check which DNS server you are using.

Best Regards,
Peter

IMG_0336.jpg

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@JetA1  Using the app I get this

7BB5C553-2882-45AB-9FC7-395568CAD782.jpeg

by JetA1 Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for trying that @Chris_B. I see you get the same DNS servers as me.

Can you also try putting in "www.aviationweather.gov" instead of google.com? When I do it I just get a spinner and after a while it times out.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@JetA1  Already done it

AB3C87D6-BA7C-4542-8EB0-11D56C2DD714.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@JetA1  Just looking at those numbers about the sever there not the same, yours ends in a 8 and mines a 9 

by JetA1 Contributor
Contributor

@Chris_B Thanks, but that's the result for any random string of letters put into dig, ie no A record was found (there's no answer section). Dig probably gets confused by the "http://" part. Can you try with just "www.aviationweather.gov"?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@JetA1 Have you got content lock set to off, medium or strict your account for internet access ? 

5A741A16-0833-4F19-91DD-D20539FCC85B.jpeg

by JetA1 Contributor
Contributor

You're getting a good resolve from the same DNS server. I have no clue why it doesn't work for me. Thanks a lot though @Chris_B for all your help!

by JetA1 Contributor
Contributor

@Chris_B I did speak to customer service a while ago and they said it might be the content block and that they would turn it off but so far no change.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@JetA1  It takes around 24 hours to change the content lock,  try looking looking at your EE account. 

by JetA1 Contributor
Contributor

@Chris_B Well what do you know, it works! Looks like it might have been the content block. It would be a great feature if EE could show a web page informing that the content is blocked instead of just letting the request time out.

Thanks for the help, Chris!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@JetA1   The thing is through why is this site got a restriction on it.  That’s what’s going to confuse you the most. Lol.   Anyway happy to hear it’s now working for you. 

by JetA1 Contributor
Contributor

I'm reviving this thread again just to say the problem has returned, with the same symptoms.

Is there anything else I could try?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@JetA1  Go to your online account and make sure the content lock is set to off

by JetA1 Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Chris_B. I have PAYG so I can't see the status of the block online. I called customer service though and they said the block was turned off. They toggled it on and off again and after restarting my phone it worked for about 5 minutes, then back to not working.

Called support again and they did some checks and concluded there is nothing they can do. Any other tips or do I just have to switch to another carrier?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.