by jamin_00 Investigator
Investigator

Can this device provide internet for a network?

Hi,

We have lost our broadband service due to an issue they currently have.

We are a small business with a network set up, broadband comes in, goes to the ISP router/modem? that then has a ethernet cable coming out going to the WAN connection in our rack that then runs the internet for everyone and allows us to use the printers etc but now we have no internet we have no printers.

So can we connect this device with a USB to ethernet adpater into the WAN connection and will that provide us with internet?

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Can this device provide internet for a network?

Which device? This device, 4GEE Home Router , can w/out needing a USB to Ethernet adapter. It has 2 Ethernet ports & is designed for just such an application.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Which device? This device, 4GEE Home Router , can w/out needing a USB to Ethernet adapter. It has 2 Ethernet ports & is designed for just such an application.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @jamin_00 

You would need the small business router which @XRaySpeX  has referred to rather than the consumer unit. It's the same device, but the EE product is designed more for business than individual consumer. 

It maybe worth considering changing your network configuration, so your printers run without the need for internet access. 

You will also need to ensure you can receive a good 4G EE signal as without one then this solution won't work. 

Give EE small business team a call on 07953 966 250

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Northerner : Isn't it same thing w/out the word "Home" & with much less data?

by jamin_00 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks both.

The device I have is a mobile internet device, the yellow one. I spoke to EE after this reply and they said I do need the home one (white box) and it will do what I need. Coming Monday.

thanks 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance. Good that you've gone for the 4GEE Home Router I suggested. The 4GEE WiFi router that you have would not be appropriate.

by
EE Community Support Team

Glad you got the help you needed from the community @jamin_00

Come back to the community anytime 🙂

by jamin_00 Investigator
Investigator

I have another question 🙂

So this device is working and providing internet to our network. It is directly connected to the WAN port via ethernet on  Cisco box we have in the rack. However, it took our IT guys a couple of hours yesterday to get it to work as we are on a VPN (I beleive thats the correct term) to our HQ in Europe and this morning we had no internet via our network but we did if we connected to the device via wireless.

Spoke to the IT guys and they said the device had changed its IP address so 10 mins later we are back.

Is there any way for EE to fix the IP address of this device otherwise everytime it changes IP address we will lose our network and we rely on it.

Thanks guys.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, EE does not provide static IP addys. This can be overcome by employing a Dynamic DNS (DDNS) service. Which device are you now talking of? I'm not sure EE's MBB routers support DDNS.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.