by Lyonshp Investigator
Investigator

Can I use the 4eee router like a dongle to have the HIVE wifi thermostat control

We do not have a landline but use a dongle for wifi. We want the HIVE wifi thermostat control which needs an Ethernet.

would an 4eee router work the same way?

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Can I use the 4eee router like a dongle to have the HIVE wifi thermostat con

Yes, but do you need to control the Hive from away from home?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Lyonshp Investigator
Investigator

Re: Can I use the 4eee router like a dongle to have the HIVE wifi thermostat con

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
It’s a holiday home so we want to turn heating up before we arrive!
We don’t have a landline.
At the moment the single works.
The Hive installer needs an ethernet socket.

Sent from Ann's iPhone
by Grand Master
Grand Master

If it already works on a mobile dongle on EE  it'll work on a MBB router

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Lyonshp Investigator
Investigator

We haven’t had the Hive installed yet.
In the small print when we had paid for it it says the router available needs an Ethernet point. And we there had to be a spare plug socket next to it which there is.
The dongle definitely doesn’t have an ethernet point.
We either forget/cancel Hive or have to try a different type of dongle/router.
Out of interest would the router use the same sim as the dongle?

Sent from Ann's iPhone
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Oh! I thought you said you were already running the Hive off the dongle.

It will depend how Hive allow you to control their device from the Net.

If they provide a Cloud-based solution with a website or app that connects to your own devices you should be OK.

However, if they expect you to connect directly to your own devices by your public IP addy, it won't work on EE's mobile network which uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net.

The dongle & the router will probably take the same sized SIM, bit if not EE will be able to supply a correct sized replacement.

by Lyonshp Investigator
Investigator

It’s so good of you to help
I think we will just use an app to access
At the moment to get internet with the dongle we connect to WiFi but no complicated ip address
We will buy the new router to have there when the engineer comes to install. If he can’t do it we get a full refund
Many thanks again

Sent from Ann's iPhone
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Make sure sure you test it with your phone not connected to the WiFi as if you are away from home. That's where it's going to fall down if anywhere. 

by Lyonshp Investigator
Investigator

Sorry. I don't get you. We need to use phone or tablet to control the Hive.
Can you explain further plesae?!
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you will need a phone to control the Hive from away from home, but I'm telling you in order to test it from home when it is installed you should make sure the phone is connecting to the mobile network & not over WiFi, to reproduce the situation when you are away from home.

by EamonnC Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have a nest which is similar to a hive and this is what we have done.

1. We use the nighthawk M1 dongle from EE

2. Plug the M1 Ethernet cable into a separate router.  

3. Enable IP Passthrough on the M1. This switches off the router functionality in the M1

4. Plug hive, hue  whatever you want into Ethernet ports on router

5. Tell hive what phone you are using for away from home feature

this will do everything you need

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @EamonnC,

Thanks for taking the time to share these great tips in the community.

Because I loved the support you gave today, I'd like to send you a gift voucher so you can treat yourself.

I'll send you a private message in a moment with further details.

Keep up the great work – it’s the people here who make this community a great place to be!

James Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.