by Iain_L Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Can I check what data has been used when?

I have been away on holiday, can back 3 days ago. When I got back, there was 30gb left of my allowance, last night 10gb, this morning 6.9gb.

we have been having several connectivity issues with slow speed connections recently, and I was wondering if there was any way of finding out what times this data has been used?

32 REPLIES 32
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Can I check what data has been used when?

Hi @Iani_L

Welcome to community 🙂

Have you flagged the connectivity issues with our technical team  at all?

I don't think there is a way to find out when the data has been used, but I would certainly chat with customer services because that's a quick drop in data.

Do you stream videos, music or anything like that?

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Hi Richard,

Thanks for replying.

We don't stream video or music at all, which is why I'm concerned about this sudden drop in available data. As you say, it's a huge amount to have used in 3 days.

There have been several problems with connectivity in our area recently, and I had been getting update texts from EE through My Places, but they are saying that all is fixed now.

It would be really helpful to know when this data was apparently used.

Iain

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Iain_L

I'd definitely flag this with customer services and they can look into helping with this.

Let me know what they can do for you.

Thanks

Richard

🙂 

Valued Contributor

I had a live chat with customer services this morning, and they claimed that 35% of the data usage was through a combination of Google Hangouts, which we don't use at all and also Bit torrent, which we haven't used, and isn't even on any of our devices. Some of the remainder would have been Windows updates on 4/7/17, but having looked at those they were not very big at all.

i have just got home, checked the usage on the app today, and it has gone from 6.9gb remaining to 5.9gb remaining whilst we have been away and haven't used the internet.

Something is very wrong here with this usage, and it seems that no-one can assist.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Iain_L

Have you checked to make sure no one else has had access to the device and checked to make sure how many devices are paired up with it?

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Hi Lee,

No-one elsehas access to the device. It currently has 9 devices attached to it, including a Network storage drive hard wired to allow us to play music on our Sonos speakers. We don't stream video or use anything like Spotify at all.

Unfortunately I just lost a connection to Live Chat midway through a conversation. During that 20 mins conversation the available data went down from 5.9gb to 5.1gb. I can't believe that on-line chat uses almost 2.5gb per hour!

Valued Contributor

I should have said the Sonos speakers are currently off as well.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Iain_L 

Have you double checked that no device is running various apps in the background, could friends or family members that use the device be running these apps without your knowledge.

Which mobile wifi device is it that you are using?

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Hi Lee,

The usual culprit for background apps would be my wife's iPhone, but I have checked that, and in fact wi-fi is off on it.

We are using an EE 4GEE Home Router.

The only device actually connecting to the internet now is this iPad, so I can look at the usage overnight and see what is happening.

I know we haven't used that much data since arriving home on Monday afternoon, and certainly haven't used Google Hangouts (since 2015) or any torrent software, which your system said this morning had used about 35% of our data.

Iain

by
EE Employee

Hi @Iain_L

Could I get you to perform a master reset on the router and connect one device to it and then monitor over night.

(Reset button is next to SIM slot)

Just to rule out any rogue devices.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

No problem Lee, I can try that.

Thanks for your efforts with this.

Iain

by
EE Employee

Do let me know how you get on tomorrow @Iain_L

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Not too good I'm afraid Lee.

4.9gb this morning, down to 3.8gb now. This is with an iPad connected for about 30mins this morning, before work, normal internet surfing (no video streaming, or music streaming), and about an hours worth or normal surfing on a Windows laptop and an iPad (again no streaming of any media). Background refreshing has been turned off on all apps.  It would take an awful lot of pages to use up 1.1gb!

Something has suddenly started eating data, when there hasn't been a problem over the last 12 months. We have had to buy add ins on 3 occasions, but that has been to cover specific events such as Sat Nav map updates.

I'm not sure what the next step can be, when Customer Service records appear to show that we have be streaming data from software that we haven't used for years. I admit to being unhappy with this current situation, and am having to seriously consider what options I may have.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Iain_L

Did you factory reset the device and connect only your laptop and iPad?

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Hi Lee,

i had, but I'll go and do it again. I'll connect the Windows laptop only, as then at least my wife and I can both access that if we want to.

Iain

by
EE Employee

Hi @Iain_L

I am trying to rule out as much as I can.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

That's no problem Lee,

Thanks for your patience, obviously I need to get to the bottom of this as well.

Showing 3.4gb available now, factory reset, and as the network name has reset back to default, there will only be this laptop connected to it.

Iain

by
EE Employee

Hi @Iain_L

I'm not back till Sunday morning after tonight.

I will catch up with you then.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Hi Lee,

Unlikely to have any data left by Sunday 😞 Down to 2.5gb left now, again no streaming of any kind, a wee bit of normal surfing, that's all. Just the one device connected. No Windows updates or any background apps running.

During this period the computer has been hibernating for an hour whilst dinner was cooked and eaten.

Something definitely not right here.

Iain

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.