by AlexBolton Investigator
Investigator

Avoiding upfront costs for upgrades?

Hello,

Nabbed the 100gb/£35 a month plan for 4GEE mobile broadband just under a week ago, to test the waters, however it's pretty clear the usage of our household is going to be quite a bit more. I phoned to upgrade to a higher tier, but was informed by the chap on the other end I'd need to pay the upfront cost for the plan all over again which does not really seem to make sense.

My question is, if I were avoid upgrading until the end of the rolling month plan (13th Dec) would I need to pay the upfront costs for an upgrade to a higher tier at that time? How are the upfront costs applied, does an amount get deducted from future month to month bills?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Avoiding upfront costs for upgrades?

@AlexBolton  The upfront cost is for the device.  If you purchase this online what you need to do is tell them that you don’t want it so you can return it and then take out the plan you want.   You get a 14 day cooling of period.  What ever you do you’ll get an upfront cost that has to be paid.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@AlexBolton  The upfront cost is for the device.  If you purchase this online what you need to do is tell them that you don’t want it so you can return it and then take out the plan you want.   You get a 14 day cooling of period.  What ever you do you’ll get an upfront cost that has to be paid.  

View solution in original post

Investigator

Ahh I feared as much - seems a touch silly to require paying the upfront cost a second time if there is no change in device.

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know of an EE 4G mobile broadband plan that has the same kind of bandwidth caps, but is sim only? I have my own hardware so have no need to use the 4GEE modem/router.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you thought about using an unlimited data phone SIM-Only from PAY MONTHLY SIM ONLY CONTRACTS for your mobile router? It would be a 12 month contract. EE FUP requires it to be for personal use only with no more than 1000 GB data pm & no more than 12 connected devices.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Ahh that might work! Thanks for the reply XRaySpeX, something to consider for sure.

Also, offtopic, but yay for Freeserve in the 90s! We started off with dialup from Demon, but moved to Freeserve around about the same time as you.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

Those were the days!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions