by Farndonbarton Investigator
Investigator

Amazon firestick

I have bought a mini WiFi to use with my amazon firestick, it works fine in uk but when I am in Spain it connects but with problems and I cannot use the firestick?

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Amazon firestick

What problems exactly?

Perhaps the Firestick has regional restrictions?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I have used the firestick on a wireless network in Spain with no problem. When I turn on the fire stick to connect with the mini WiFi It says connected with problems. My phone works ok, I have phoned EE help a couple of times and they said I should remove the SIM card , press restart put the SIM card and again press restart and it worked, but I don’t want to do that every time, the suggestion from the desk was that it is a difficulty with the ip address?

by Graeme2812 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Have a read of this link which will give you information on using a Firestick abroad https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201624360 

You might find that some of the UK specific content (iPlayer, All4 etc) may be region locked and therefore will not play if it detects you are using a non-UK based IP address. One solution here could be to use a VPN, but you'd need to check the legality of this first.

Also, have you checked that the SIM you are using is data/roaming enabled? Text ROAMING to 150 and this should tell you. You may need to make some changes in your EE account to allow this also. (This is what i have had to do when abroad in the last, outside and inside the EU)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Graeme2812: Roaming must be enabled if it works sometimes and not others  

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

It works ok elsewhere in Spain, it just doesn’t connect to the internet via the mini wifi

Investigator

I have connected the amazon firestick via hotspot on my phone and it connects and works ok, if I then try to change it to mini WiFi it won’t work, but if I go back to hotspot it works? 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Farndonbarton.

I hope you're having a lovely time in Spain so far. 🙂

Does your WiFi Mini work when other devices are connected to it?

Chris

Investigator

Christopher, yes it does it connects 2 and a fire tablet, it seems to be a problem with the firestick in general, it has worked with the firestick but just doesn’t seem to connect each time, it does work through hotspot on my phone but have trouble connecting through the mini WiFi, ee said it seems to a problem with the ip address

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.