Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

4gee home router slow upload speed

Hi, does anyone know why the upload speed (tested over a few months now) is quite low? i.e. 0.5mb upload and why I am experiencing packet loss?  Makes no difference if connected on wifi or ethernet cable.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: 4gee home router slow upload speed

Hi @Wildcat,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Your upload speed will depend on the 4G coverage in your particular location.

Are you using an external antenna? If not, you may be able to improve your speeds by installing one. Find out more at shop.ee.co.uk/broadband/4g-home-broadband.

Hope this helps.

James

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi James, sorry for the delayed reply.  Yes, I have an external antenna, but not the one EE supply, I've got a Poynting omni-directional antenna A-XPOL-0001. I'm in an excellent coverage area, but we do have a few hills around us. I've spoken to 2nd level Tech Support and they suggested i buy one of EE's directional antennas at a cost to me of £100 for the install, so this has been paid for but they're not installing any kit whilst movement restrictions are in place for Covid-19, so I am stuck with what I have until the engineers are allowed out. They also suggested I test another router, which I did, (neighbour has the same 4gee router) and it made no difference, so router seems fine, which then leaves the antenna. 1st level Support has also suggested I invest in a better LTE wifi router as well (with external antenna connections) - is this OK and can you suggest/recommend any?

Highlighted
by

Hi @Wildcat,

I wouldn't recommend investing in a new router until we find out if the new antenna installation helps.

Out of interest, have you run any tests with your current antenna disconnected?

Thanks

James

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi James, that's just it, the router will NOT get a signal without the antenna connected, this is because of our location. It might get a weak signal if i placed the router outside and half way up a hill, but then it will be exposed to all the weather and I'd have to run a power cable extension and then ethernet cable back to my computer as the wifi wouldn't reach it. So this is why I don't think the antenna can be the problem, because if it wasn't working, I would have no internet at all and I would not be able to chat with you know 😉

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

I've just done a speed test, here are the results:

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/09d282c1-168a-4ee5-9dcf-b5d06897d92f

Highlighted
by

Thanks @Wildcat

I just wanted to check their wasn't a problem with your current antenna.

I'm afraid we are going to have to wait until your directional antenna is installed to see if that helps.

James

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

OK. Thanks anyway.

Highlighted
by

No problem @Wildcat

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions