Highlighted
by craigomatic Contributor
Contributor

4gee home broadband experience

We live in an area where superfast broadband is not going to be an option. So we are considering EE's 4GEE option.

We do all the usual family things online, watch TV, browse, watch You Tube emails etc, sometimes make calls, but we have no idea of our actual usage. Our current ADSL plan is unlimited and our service provider does not supply us a record of our usage as they say this is an Openreach thing. Openreach are not our supplier so they wont do it either. And so it goes.

I could make an estimate based on an average film length and the bandwidth that would use, but that's really guesswork. Ideally we'd like an unlimited option, but i doubt that is going to happen anytime soon and the largest 500gb is a rather eyewatering £100pcm

So what I'd like to know before plumping for the the wrong plan, or even 4GEE itself is what the community's experience is of the right amount of data to go for. Especially interested in hearing from those who use it as their primary or only source of broadband and not necessarily for roaming.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

Re: 4gee home broadband experience

There's a good chance you will be using +10GB a day, which over a month would require you to be on a 300GB plan at £80 per month.

The 200GB plan is £50 per month, but you would likely need to reduce the number of hours you watch video on demand, or watch the video at a lower quality.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Do you already have an EE phone? I should try out 1st the EE signal & bandwidth at your home by getting an EE PAYG SIM.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

It would help the community to give you a realistic data estimate if you're able to say how many hours of video you watch each month, and on what platforms.

If you join 4GEE Home Broadband, you will be able to increase your tariff to a higher data plan, if you find your chosen plan does not have enough data. However the sale currently lasts until the 5th of February, after this the plans may become more expensive. You also have a 14 day DSR to return if your required amount of data is not financially suitable for you.

Also, have you tried checking your router, computers, and mobile phones to see how much data you're using over your local network?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@craigomatic wrote:

Our current ADSL plan is unlimited and our service provider does not supply us a record of our usage as they say this is an Openreach thing. Openreach are not our supplier so they wont do it either.

It is not OR who supplies ADSL but BT Wholesale. EE Home BB manages to supplies your usage & they are also a BTw ISP.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

I have had an EE phone account since it was Orange. At that time servivice was patchy, but Orange was the best of the providers. More recently hower a mast has been erected nearby and the signal is excellent with speeds over ten times and up to twenty time my current braoadband speed. Hence the interest.

In answer to the question about our usage. We spend most evenings watching online TV (iPlayer, Netflix etc) My DD is an avid You tube watcher and how much she actually does this is dependent on how often we remember to ask her to stop Smiley Wink

It was my provider who said it was Openreach who would need to provide them with the usage details. It is neither here nor there to me whether its OR or BT Wholesale as I can contact neither. It is my provider's responsibility to contact them, but it would seem this is not a priority for them.

And no, sadly my router does not record usage. I explored that. Smiley Sad

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

There's a good chance you will be using +10GB a day, which over a month would require you to be on a 300GB plan at £80 per month.

The 200GB plan is £50 per month, but you would likely need to reduce the number of hours you watch video on demand, or watch the video at a lower quality.

Contributor

Thanks Colourzen

I kind of thought the 200gb was a bit of wishful thinking. Incidentally EE are offering me 200 at £45 and 300 at £72 due to my current phone contract, but tbh both are only a little less, and aren't dealbreakers. 

Prices do seem to be reducing slowly and the bandwidth maybe by the time I've made my mind up they will be something closer to what my pocket wants.

Here's hoping.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.