by Fleapit Contributor
Contributor

4GEE router + antenna. initially great indoor signal reduced over time.

I have a 4GEE router with an external antenna. Because of the poor indoor signal/ thick stone walls, I use Devolo dLANs to spread the Wifi throughout the house.
Initially had a really good signal everywhere but over time the internal wifi speed has significantly dropped until now one of the dLANs cant pick up the internet connection at all. Have switched dLANs around so not a fault with them.

Any ideas why the internal signal might have dropped or how to boost it?

Is it possible to hardwire from the router to hard to reach places?

12 REPLIES 12
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4GEE router + antenna. initially great indoor signal reduced over time.

@Fleapit   what is the signal like next to the router itself?  Forget about the Devolos as that is only pushing the signal further in your home.  

by Fleapit Contributor
Contributor

51 Mpbs down 22 up

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Fleapit Ok.  It could possibly be the devolos at fault,  have you tried moving them to a different location to see if the signal improves? 

by Fleapit Contributor
Contributor

Yes thanks we tried that - it took a long time initially to get them set up for the optimum places. Everything was pretty stable although over time the speed one was picking up about halved. Now another one isn't registering at all even on the devolo cockpit and I swapped it with another one to see if that helped and it didn't. 

I could just start again and 'upgrade' all the devolos but the same thing might happen again over time ...

Because of the layout of the house and mixture of old/ new buildings - the only place I can get a wifi signal inside without the the Devolos is in the bedrooms/ bathroom. If I cant push a signal throughout the rest of the building then the 4GEE is not a solution for me. 

I just wondered if anyone on here had any other ideas - have also contacted Devolo

(Just to add - landline broadband is not an option here as its sooooooo slooooow its not worth paying for - the exchange is too old and not going to be upgraded as the area is too remote - so no fibre for us in the future)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The 4GEE Home Router does have 2 Ethernet ports.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Fleapit Contributor
Contributor

Yes, at the moment I am using one for the Devolos but it may be that I end up running cables throughout the house. I need it to three areas but may be able to work something out if there is no alternative - thanks 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Lorraine01 Investigator
Investigator

Hi you maybe able to help me with my next problem please. Since having internet my landline phone is very crackley and can’t hear properly what the caller is saying, would you know why that it please, I would appreciate any help with this.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Try plugging the phone into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Is the issue any better?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Fleapit 

There are a few WiFi testing apps on the apps store which you can test your WiFi strength and weaknesses. If maybe all you need us a band change or some locations might be on blocked. 

Worth checking out.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Fleapit Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - I will check that out

by Lorraine01 Investigator
Investigator

Thank you for your response which was helpful and I will have a look at.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.