by Phil_Barker Contributor
Contributor

4GEE impossible to add-on data

I bought a 4GEE when I moved into my new house 3 months ago, just so I could use the 4G until my home broadband was installed. Then I wanted it mostly for working out and about on my laptop.

I bought it with 6gb data - it said you get 2gb a month for 3 months.
The initial 2gb ran out pretty quickly and in the last 3 months I've been completely unable to add-on any extra data. I never did get the 2nd and 3rd months data!

So my experience :-
Connect to wifi from laptop, the initial page that appears just shows a generic "We are unable to show you information about your data, please try again later" error over and over.
If I keep refreshing and login to the admin panel and follow the link in the SMS that says my data ran out then eventually I can get to a page that tells me I have none left and gives me options to add data on.

So I choose the 200mb add-on just to get it working again and I get a page asking me to enter my mobile number in twice, for security, which I do - but then when I try to submit the form it says "Please complete this captcha" in a red error box. BUT THERE IS NO CAPTCHA ON THE PAGE.

I've tried this from safari on my macbook, chrome on my macbook, disabled all ad-blockers, and even tried safari from my iphone. It's the same on every one.

I've tried adding a data add-on through my EE account but it says I must be connected with the 4G device.

Honestly I just go around in circles with it, I've never been able to use it since the initial 2gb it came with and I'm pretty close to just throwing it in the bin.
Tried a software update and it just fails to read version.

Given up.

14 REPLIES 14
by
EE Employee

Re: 4GEE impossible to add-on data

Hi @Phil_Barker and welcome to the community

So I can try and help, what happens when you pop over to http://add-on.ee.co.uk/purchase ?

Many thanks,

Lee

Contributor

I get the page saying I have 0mb left - and offering me add-ons

I click purchase on the 200mb one

I then get a page that says to enter my mobile number twice, and a button saying continue

I click continue and get the error that I haven't completed the captcha, which doesn't exist.

I can upload some screenshots later if it helps

by
EE Employee

Hi @Phil_Barker,

This is unusual as it should not be asking you to further enter your mobile number.

Many thanks,

Lee

Contributor

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vsefb883l5tw5v/Screenshot%202017-09-26%2009.37.31.png?dl=0

That's the page I get to after choosing a data add-on 😞

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for the screenshot, @Phil_Barker.

Is it pay as you go 4GEE WiFi or pay monthly?

If pay monthly, do you know if there is a balance that is due for payment on your account?

It's unusual that it is taking you to the make a payment page.

Chris

Contributor

Pay as you go. Bought brand new from Curry's around 3 months ago

It had 6g on the label and I was told I'd get 2gb a month for first 3 months. I got the original 2gb but no further data and I've never been able to add a data add-on due to this capture error. 

I've never had any other EE number or contract 

Highlighted
Contributor

Here is the journey from my iphone connected to the 4GEE wifi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fv8mgd1ynzxjbhl/2017-09-26%2019.47.43.png?dl=0

I click the "Top Up" button under the 200mb package and it takes me to that page

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otkidakirctjq0c/2017-09-26%2019.48.47.png?dl=0

If I enter the mobile number twice I get the error about missing captcha 😞

by

Hi @Phil_Barker,

Please get in touch with customer services so we can take a quick look at your account.

Thanks

James

Contributor

Just got off a 20minute call and unfortunately they had absolutely no idea why this page was being shown.

I'm assuming there's something wrong with the account but I'm lost.
Have decided to just throw the sim card away and will buy a new one and try again.

by

Hi @Phil_Barker

Thanks for coming back and letting us know the outcome.

Let us know what happens with the new SIM card, it goes without saying we will try our best to help you.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by Boffinboy
Explorer

I have the same problem. £28 in the account but I can’t use it to buy data without filling in a captcha that isn’t there. I don’t want a new sim, I want to use the money in my account! EE, sort this out. It has nothing to do with security, the amount can only be credited to the number of the account. What is going on?

by
EE Employee

Hi @Boffinboy and welcome to the community.

You should be able to purchase via http://add-on.ee.co.uk.

What it being displayed?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Boffinboy
Explorer

The solution is to use a different browser. The previously nonexistent captcha magically appeared when I used Opera on my iPad instead of Safari. There is probably some setting in Safari preferences I need to change. I suggest something similar prevented the original poster seeing the captcha.

I reiterate my assertion that there is no need for the page to even exist. 

Contributor

Unfortunately I tried safari on my iPhone, safari on Mac, chrome on Mac, and edge on Windows. None work

Disabled all browser extensions, still no luck 

I tried to work out what was going on (I'm a web developer) but the click takes you to the ee server which then redirects so I was out of luck. 

Given up on mine, put it on ebay

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.