by Will76 Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

4GEE box installed externally

Has anyone got any expereince of installing this outdoors in appropriate protection - say in a garden? Or powerering this via a solar with appropriate batteries. 

I get good 4g from my EE installed antenna. 50mb up and 15mb down. I spent a lot of time with the (very good) installer to find the best location.

However my garden runs uphill and about 80m from my house I can get get 100mb up and down via my iphone. There is uninterurpted LOS to the local tower from there.

I am considering options to mount the antenna in the garden with the router located at the same place and buried ethernet back to the house. I need to consider enviromental prorection of the router and power/data cables to the location.

Any expereince welcome!

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4GEE box installed externally

@Will76 You don’t need to put the router outside as you can get an  external antenna and just run a cable from that to the router in your home. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Will76.

I agree with @Chris_B, we wouldn't advise putting the router outside.

Did the installation person give you any suggestions on how to do this?

They usually set it up in the best place available for you.

Jon

Valued Contributor

Sorry I have confused matter by mentioning the installed EE antena. This was installed well and gives me a good service. Ignore that part of my original message please.

The location I am discussing is about 80-90meters from the house and not suitable for installation by EE. It currently has no power or ethernet to this garden location.

I cannot just install the antena there and run antena cables back to the house - these cables degrade over 5m.

I am asking if anyone has expereince of housing a router in a outdoors location like this, either powered by mains or solar. And how they did it.

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for clarifying @Will76 🙂

Hopefully a user with similar experiences can point you in the right direction.

Jon

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

In the press a while back there was someone who installed one in some toolboxes with a battery and solar panels. Although I don't see why you couldn't run a low voltage cable alongside the ethernet to the router and power it from the house. Or you could even possibly use PoE and power it over just the Ethernet!

It all just depends how involved you want to get really and what you have lying around to use!

Valued Contributor

I did think about POE. I have a POE switch so potentially perfect.

But I know nothing about POE over large distances - I guess it will be maybe 100m all in from the switch to the router via the patch panel and an ethernet socket. I'll do some research.

Or indeed a low voltage cable. I'd need to understand the spec of the cable and the connectors. Then I could just run this and the ethernet in some conduit (garden hose) which would be super cheap and easy. And an upside is I can reboot the router from inside the house, by simply powering down and up.

Good ideas - thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.