Highlighted
by kokkolis Investigator
Investigator

4GEE WiFi need to become a 64-bit app. in order to keep working on Mac OS...

Dear All,

I am a Mac OS user, and the app that launches the 4GEE WiFi is a 32-bit app.  Soon Mac OS migrates onto a 64-bit only platform, which means the 32-bit apps will cease working (at least according to the automatic notification my Mac shows me for the 4GEE WiFi app.). 

Do you know if the developers are aware of this, i.e. that unless they make the 4GEE WiFi app a 64-bit app it will stop working on the Mac OS?

How do we contact them? Is anyone from EE monitoring this forum so they can at least make contact with the developers?

Thank you,

Christos

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: 4GEE WiFi need to become a 64-bit app. in order to keep working on Mac OS...

What do you mean by "launch"?

You don't need any app to:

1. Connect to it. Just use your normal way of connecting to a WiFi network.
  2. Admin it. Just browse to http://192.168.1.1 .
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: 4GEE WiFi need to become a 64-bit app. in order to keep working on Mac OS...

What do you mean by "launch"?

You don't need any app to:

1. Connect to it. Just use your normal way of connecting to a WiFi network.
  2. Admin it. Just browse to http://192.168.1.1 .
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @kokkolis

Welcome to the community.

Which app is it? Could you send me a link or screenshot?

Thanks

Chris

by kokkolis Investigator
Investigator

Hello and thank you for welcoming me.

It's an app from 4GEE that once you are connected to the 4GEE WiFi it allows you to click on it and it will automatically direct safari to 192.168.1.1, so you check battery level, deviced connected etc.

It loaded automatically to my MAC when I connected to my 4GEE for first time.

I will send a screenshot at first opportunity, however the friend who responded above is right...I also realised that all the app does is to launch safari to 192.168.1.1 once you have connected to the 4GEE, which means that 4GEE app is just a shortcut.

Although the 4GEE app may be 32-bit, all we need to do is create a shortcut on the desktop with the address 192.168.1.1 and place an EE icon, and that will always work.

I will supply screenshots soon, I 've fixed it and used identical icons to the ones rfom EE and works a treat.

Christos

by kokkolis Investigator
Investigator

Hello and thank you for replying to my query, much appreciated.

After some further invetigation yesterday, you are absolutely right.

That 4GEE app launched onto my MAC automatically when I connected to the 4GEE device for the first time.

Yesterday I realised that all the app does is to launch safari to 192.168.1.1 once you have connected to the 4GEE, which means that 4GEE app is just a shortcut.

Although the 4GEE app may be 32-bit, all we need to do is create a shortcut on the desktop with the address 192.168.1.1 and place an EE icon, and that will always work, or just browse directly to 192.168.1.1 exactly as you suggest.

It may buffle more new users given that this auto-shortcut app loads on MACs -and then MAC OS given you a notice...!

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Christos

by kokkolis Investigator
Investigator

Hello and thank you for replying to my query, much appreciated. After some further invetigation yesterday, you are absolutely right.

That 4GEE app launched onto my MAC automatically when I connected to the 4GEE device for the first time.

Yesterday I realised that all the app does is to launch safari to 192.168.1.1 once you have connected to the 4GEE, which means that 4GEE app is just a shortcut.

Although the 4GEE app may be 32-bit, all we need to do is create a shortcut on the desktop with the address 192.168.1.1 and place an EE icon, and that will always work, or just browse directly to 192.168.1.1 exactly as you suggest.

It may buffle more new users given that this auto-shortcut app loads on MACs -and then MAC OS given you a notice...!

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Christos

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, you mean EE's 4GEE Web Connection program. Yes, it invites you to install it the 1st time you connect to any of EE's MBB routers, but realising it is unnecessary bloatware that can be performed much simpler by normal OS functions I never accepted it.

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

by kokkolis Investigator
Investigator

4GEE WiFi Portal 32-bit launch app.png

Indeed...you can clearly see the 4GEE WiFi Portal launch app at Mac's dock...it triggered the "32-bit will stop soon working on Mac OS when it goes fully 64-bit" error yesterday...

Solution is to just browse directly on 192.168.1.1, or to create a desktop shortcut with that address.4GEE WiFi Potal shortcut on Mac Desktop.png4GEE Shortcut on Mac Desktop

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.