by paulo774774 Investigator
Investigator

4GEE Router HH70VB with external LTE antenna gives worse signal

Hi All,

I've got the 4GEE Router (HH70VB) which usually has one bar of signal but I can get 2 if I position it just at the right height/angle up against the window.  When I get 2 bars, the speed dramatically increases so really want to try and keep it there and stable.

An external antenna isn't really practical so I bought the Poynting XPOL-1 Antenna as it's window mountable.   It's just arrived this morning and I've connected it but the signal strength hasn't improved, if anthing it's got worse!

Is there a hidden/engineers menu where I need to toggle external antenna on?  I've seen similar posts on other routers but since there is no detailed signal quality metrics on the UI I've no way of telling.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: 4GEE Router HH70VB with external LTE antenna gives worse signal

The thing with many antennas is that they are very directional and need to be pointing exactly towards the mast it's connecting too.

You will need to know where your local mast is and point the antenna directly towards it.

You can purchase omnidirectional antennas which don't need to be pointing towards the mast, however, these are generally a lot more expensive.

Investigator

Hi @Profile closed,

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately my house is built the wrong way round  to get a directional signal and is an old cottage with 2 foot stone walls and not great electrics (we moved in last year and a rewire is on the to-do list!) so can't use the wi-fi extender solution EE's external antenna guys were suggesting as the antenna cables are fixed length.

The antenna I've bought claims to be omni-directional: https://poynting.tech/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/XPOL-1_TechnicalSpecifictaion_Deocument.pdf

Investigator

Just a quick update in case anyone else finds it useful... Sticking the antenna higher up has had a BIG impact, especially to the upload speed. Guessing it's helped improve line of sight to the cell. Smiley Happy

fullsizeoutput_4f1b.jpeg

by
EE Community Support Team

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.