by morgannick2000 Investigator
Investigator

4GEE Router (200GB) - no static route options in config

Hi 4GEE experts...

I've been using 4G for my home broadband for a couple of years now. I currently have a Huawei B593 with a Poynting 4g Aerial, 2 4g SIMS 1x200GB and 1x64GB. Down speed around 35Mbps, up 20Mbps - so way better than the 0.8Mbps ADSL offers.

To ensure that I dont waste any valuable data I have created a piece of software to control each individual devices quota, DNS settings, dhcp etc. This runs on a Raspberry Pi and acts as a router infront of the 4G router. This can be configured to use NAT or act as router. Why? Well imagine a scenario that an Xbox tries to donwload 60GB of data, this "device' stops it doing that and therefore preserving some data for the rest of the family.

HERE IS THE QUESTION:

As part of my new 200GB deal, I received the new 4GEE home router. Looking at it, it feels like Huawai could be the OEM. The problem I have with it is quite a simple one. I'd like to see an option for 'static routing' in the config panel.

Can you enable this please?

You're really limiting the possible use cases for you device by not having static routes available. Was that a conscious decision?

Thanks

Nick

31 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4GEE Router (200GB) - no static route options in config

Do you mean reserving fixed internal IP addys? If the MBB router does not have that in its DHCP there is nowt anyone can do to enable it on your router. You could always fix their IPs on individual devices themselves. There MBB routers are functionally weaker than real routers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

BTW its this router:

https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-as-you-go-mobile-broadband/4gee-router-payg/details

My question is about adding static IP routes to the router config. On most consumer grade and above routers you can add static routes e.g.

If I config my 4GEE router as 192.168.1.1/24

My routing table would be something like:

0.0.0.0/0 -> Internet IP address

192.168.1.0/24 -> local network

In other words, Anything outside 192.168.1.0/24 would go via the default route out to my external Internet IP address

So... say I had 2 subnets on my lan and the other one is 172.24.0.0/24 and I wanted to route packets back from the 4GEE router to 172.24.0.x then I'd add a static route to another router (with an address 192.168.1.6/24) in the 192.168.1.0/24 range  that would forward packets into 172.24.0.0/24. To do this the 4GEE router need to know what to do with that packets.

e.g. you'd add a static route as follows:

172.24.0.0/24 -> 192.168.1.6 (my second router)

The 4GEE router won't allow you to add static routes, can you add this feature in the firmware please?

BTW this new router look like a decent piece of kit and you can plug in external aerials etc, seems a pity to cut of some basic IP functionality when that would be useful for customer applications.

Thanks, Nick

by geoffers12 Investigator
Investigator

It is possible, but not via the web interface, and if you break it your on your own.

Two possible ways - issue the commands on the router, but they'll be lost on a restart/power cycle

or
Manually making changes to the overlay file system [which is where the resetable changes are] that goes over the top of the rom files [so when you do a factory reset it wipes the overlay changes]

With the other downfalls of this router I'm looking at putting another router in line of it and doing the serious work with that - so basically it'll be a glorified dongle, shame as the backend has got a lot of these options already there just no web interface to set them.

Investigator

Do you have any advice on adding static routes? Can I SSH into the router and add manually? @geoffers12 can you be more specific about accessing the router's console

@EE Is there a mechanism/process for making requests for firmware additions? I'm guessing you have a software engineering team that does this stuff?

Thanks

Nick

Investigator

I'll send you a pm - interested in your raspberry pi idea - looking into similar myself

Investigator

How do I access a PM?

Investigator

I know it’s not terribly obvious

above the search box at the top - what looks like an advert for EE - that’s it

Investigator

Got it... replied via PM too

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You generally don't get static routes on consumer grade routers even for fixed BB. So I wouldn't expect them for these MBB routers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hi @XRaySpeX,

All the other consumer grade routers I have allow static routes. It's a simple feature that opens up more possible use cases for your product. Is it not worth at least putting forward as a suggestion for a future firmware update?

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Cheers

Nick

by Grand Master
Grand Master

All those I have, don't. Not that I have any need for it nor do I see the ordinary consumer have.

Investigator

Thanks for the prompt reply, I take that as I 'no chance' then?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I don't make decisions for EE but unlikely, I'd say.

Investigator

Do you know of a request process for potential feature enhancements?

Is this purely a user community forum?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There is a so-called "email" form that you can use for fixed BB: https://explore.ee.co.uk/broadband/email-us . Dunno whether it is the same team for MBB. Also see below in my sig.

Yes, this is a peer-to-peer user discussion group.

by
EE Employee

Hi @morgannick2000

I am more than happy to pass feedback over to the relevant teams.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

@Lee_H thank you... it would be great to engage with your product development team.

by Skier641 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Lee,

Many thanks for offering to take suggestions forward to the development team.  I'd like to make the following suggestions:

- Provide the functionality to have the EE 4G Router operate in Bridge Mode.

- Provide the functionality for the user to be able to assign static IP addresses.

- Provide an (ideally automated) dimming of the blue lights on the device; they're too bright at night.

Regards and thanks

by
EE Employee

No problems @Skier641

I will pass this all over, they may be considered for future updates.

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.