by shamoose Investigator
Investigator

4GEE Mini firmware

I have got a 2018 version of the 4GEE Mini (EE70). Right now i realised that is has an update icon on my login page, so upon clicking on the icon i was brought to the update page which says

"Device can not be detected.

Maybe your device has been unplugged or switched off."

However, the device is still connected and i can still make setting changes to the mifi devices. It is only when i reach that update page that I see the cannot be detected error. The device is currently on EE70_02_00_11 firmware.

I have tried resetting the device by pressing the reset button behind the machine, I am still able to do and use everything except the firmware upgrade.

Can someone share the initial setting so that I can restore it or something, or give a suggestion on what to do?

I have tried:

1. Resetting to factory
  2. Using a differnet device but still gets the same message

Cheers and Merry 2019!

14 REPLIES 14
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: 4GEE Mini firmware

Hi @shamoose

Welcome to the EE Community,

I would recommend speaking with technical support you can reach them on 0800 956 3146 from a landline or 150 from your EE mobile.

by shamoose Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Dai!

by shamoose Investigator
Investigator

This is super strange; called the EE hotline provided by @David_C, but then I was told that over that the CS could not find my IMEI number for the device in their system, and suggested that I bring the device back to shop... Hmmm?

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@shamoose where did you buy the device ?

by shamoose Investigator
Investigator

I got it from the EE Shop at Oxford Street in August, @David_C

It's so strange that they told me they can't find it in their system. I not sure if that being unregistered is the reason to why it Device cannot de detected in the update page.

Smiley Sad

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@shamoose dont you have a mobile number linked to the device ?

by shamoose Investigator
Investigator

@David_C, I was on a pay monthly contract and cancelled it awhile after. I don't know, she couldnt find it and it was quite confused tooo.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@shamoose 

If there is no data connection due to you cancelling the connection you wouldn't be able to update the firmware on the device. 

You would need a active data connection to download the firmware update.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You still have an EE SIM in it, don't you? You said you can do everything else. I presume that includes going on the Net.

You should be able to find your IMEI on the System Settings page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by shamoose Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX @David_C

i have gotten the device unlocked so it works with other sims too.

yes i found the imei and called EE, it was their tech support who can’t locate the number in their system.

i vaguely recalled that i updated the device once when i got it, and then thereafter it showed this message of not being able to detect the device, but i was not disconnected from whenever the message shows. So i tot reseting will bring it back to the first version of firmware on the device but i tried it a couple of times and it still shows the error message at the update page

i guess its prolly no big deal since i still can use it but i just feel its kinda bummer because connecting to a 5Ghz network is slower compared to a 2.4Ghz, and i hope for a software update to resolve that.

Thanks anyway

by Grand Master
Grand Master

A factory reset restores the configuration settings to default  It never downgrades the firmware to what it was when you got it. That would be a retrograde step. 

The chance of a firmware update fixing a peculiarity you happened to notice is minimal  

Have you tried doing this firmware update with an EE SIM in? It may be that you need to be on the EE network to do so  

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by rich_
Explorer

I have this issue too - did you ever find a solution?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@rich_: What issue? If an update becomes available for your device EE will fire it at it, providing you are on the EE mobile network.

by rich_
Explorer

Exactly same issue as described by OP, update icon has been on for weeks when I click it it comes up with the same message as described above.

Hasn't auto updated even when ive left the device on and plugged in for a few days so this isn't working.

See screenshot - the update icon is the little circle with the arrow in it top right corner next to "4G" When clicked it brings up the error below.

Screenshot 2019-03-08 at 18.31.48.png

Thanks

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.