Highlighted
by DocMesa Investigator
Investigator

4GEE Home Router and Discord

Hi, I'm desperately hoping someone can help me,

I recently swapped from a 4GEE mini wifi device (the small black and yellow one that kept overheating and breaking down) to 4GEE Home Router. Since doing so, I've been unable to access my partner's Discord server, whereas I could with my previous device.

Discord says I need to unblock UDP 50000-65000 on my router but the IP filter page doesn't seem to allow this. This program is of critical importance to me; without it, the 4GEE Router is pointless.

I'm really hoping someone can help me get Discord working again like it was with my old device.

9 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4GEE Home Router and Discord

IP filter page? It should be on a Port Forwarding page if it has 1. The 4GEE Mini didn't.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by DocMesa Investigator
Investigator

I did have a look on the Router's admin page but didn't see anything, although I freely admit I could be looking in the wrong place.

Would there by any way to get around it using a virtual server or anything, or have I essentially got a  £100 doorstop? =/

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @DocMesa,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Do you have content lock turned on?

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Virtual server is another name for port forwarding used by some routers. So use that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by DocMesa Investigator
Investigator

Okay....how exactly do I do that?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Please describe in more detail exactly what you are trying to do?

This Discord server is it running on the same LAN as your router or on another LAN? If another LAN what router is controlling that? From where do you wan't to access it?

by DocMesa Investigator
Investigator

I'm very sorry it's taken so long to reply here - life has been very busy and very stressful for me of late.

In answer to the question - I'm trying to connect to a friend's Discord server; it's not one that I am hosting myself. In other words, I'm connecting over the internet to it, rather than on a local LAN. I do not know what hardware the discord server is running on. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

As I understand it your friend is running this Discord server somewhere out there on the Net & is inviting you to join it. It is he, not you, that needs to open ports so that anyone outside can access it.

I seem to be able to join any of these Discord Me: Public Discord Servers & Discord Channels w/out me changing anything. Perhaps your friend should be entering his server to such a site?

by DocMesa Investigator
Investigator

Just to be very clear on this - I am able to engage in text conversations on these servers and join the text part without issue. The problem arises when I try to enter voice communications - that's when I have the issue of the "RTC connecting" repeatedly trying and failing to connect. It is an issue that has only come up since swapping to the home router, the previous 4GEE Wifi Mini is able to connect on voice without this problem, until it inevitably overheats and shuts down.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.