cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

4G EE External Aerial

professorhinky
Visitor

I booked an external aerial installation just before lockdown and it was cancelled by the installation company. I've "managed" with no bars, but its been difficult and slow. I'm tempted to just buy one and install it myself. Does anyone have any advice on which aerial to buy? Can you buy the same one as they install?

2 REPLIES 2
wardi
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Sorry I can't answer your question directly but I do have a 4G router.  In the interim have you tried attaching a couple of those stub aerials into the LTE sockets?  Luckily I'm only about 1k from my local transmitter and I get 2-3 bars all the time.

jamesmacwhite
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

You can buy one yourself. You would need to make sure you get a compatible antenna that supports the signal bands EE use and it's the right antenna connection to the router. For the 4GEE Home Router you have 2x SMA connectors.

The key factor with antennas is placement and knowing the positioning of the nearest mask, so when installing it, you've got the best line of sight for signal. The company that EE outsource the work to install compatible antennas and will have the mast info to know the best location to place it.

So depending on how comfortable you are doing all of the above, yes it's possible but it might be worth ringing up EE again to see if it will be rearranged.