by mwahab Investigator
Investigator

why is my data throughput capped when downloading from FTP server?

Hi,

I have some corporate EE connections with business data tariffs, when i am downloading on a mobile device or tablet from an FTP server my data throughput is capped and i cannot achieve rates over 11mbps. I have tried different FTP servers and i have tried different FTP clients my data throughput is always capped. 

When i use a different network provider i am able to download at much higher data rates from my FTP server between 25 - 30mbps. Any ideas why i get slow data rates on EE when downloading from a FTP server?

11 REPLIES 11
by noCGN Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: why is my data throughput capped when downloading from FTP server?

Hi mwahab,

Speed in mobile networks can be limited by many things. Ammount of people using the cell site that you are connected to, how far you are from the cell site ....... what technology for data are you using or is available in youur are .....

The speed you see being advertised is the max speed if only you ware using the cell site 😉

What speed to you get when doing a speed check on the EE SIM?

Arer you on 4G/LTE or 3G/HSxxx network?

Have you tried it lets say 2am in the morning, when the network should not be congested?

by
EE Employee

Hi @mwahab and welcome to the community.

So I can try and assist, please may I know what speeds are you getting when you run a standard speed test?

Many thanks,

Lee

by mwahab Investigator
Investigator

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply, i have tried at various times and in various locations. If i do a speedtest i can acheive download rates of 60 mbps, in the same location if i try to download from my FTP i get rates of no more than 11mbps, 80% difference in speed.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mwahab,

As @noCGN said, your connection speeds will be affected by the amount of traffic the mast is handling at any one time.

This is the network working as intended to make sure there is enough bandwidth to service all customers currently connected to the mast.

Thanks

James

by mwahab Investigator
Investigator

@James_B thank you for your reply. I am consistently getting rates of around 11mbps at various locations and at various times when downloading from an FTP, if i download a large 1GB file from thinkbroadband test site i am getting a download rate of 56 mbps at the same location i get rates of around 11 mbps when dowloading from FTP, why is this capped? i have tried different FT servers i see the same behaviour, i try a different network and i can download from my FTP at a comparable rate to downloading from thinkbroadband test website. As mentioned in my original post the SIM cards i have are corporate, unfortunately i do not have a non corporate EE SIM card to compare.   

by

Hi @mwahab,

Please get in touch with customer services and our technical team will be happy to look into this in more detail for you.

Thanks

James

by mwahab Investigator
Investigator

Hi @James_B

Is there an email address or direct line to contact Technical? Thank you. 

by

Hi @mwahab,

There isn't an Email address, but you can reach the technical team on 150 if you are a small business customer or 158 for large businesses.

Thanks Smiley Happy

James

Established Contributor

Hi mwahab,

Have you managed to sort it out?

How helpfull ware the Technical staff?

Was it one phone call, or did you had to ring numerous times?

by mwahab Investigator
Investigator

Hi noCGN, i haven't called technical yet and so not managed to sort this issue. When i find the time to call EE and have this sorted or have an insight as to why this is happening on EE i shall update you, appreciate your concern.

Established Contributor

mwahab,

just a thought, can you change the port on your FTP server and see if you can trick them? 😉

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.