by IanMcBenz
Explorer

'unable to establish secure connection' on mac. Fine on phone.

I have a mac which is using my P20 Pros' 4G hotspot as it's connection. I am trying to view a URL (It's a help area of a webapp I use at work - I can post URL).  I can view this site fine on my phone (in Chrome, with secure connection padlock) but all the browsers I have on the Mac (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera) say 'unable to establish secure connection' and won't allow me to view the page. I also cannot access some git repositories I need for work, on the mac. These are both hosted by the same company (the help area and the git repositories).

All of the above works perfectly when I connect the mac to a fixed line BB network. Which I am unable to do at present. I've recently come over from o2 and I never had this issue when I had to use the hotspot on their network.

Content control is off in MyEE, I've tried different public DNS settings on my Mac which was the advise from the company whose site I am trying to access.

What have o2's 4g network and bb got that ee's 4g network hasn't? That enabled my mac to establish secure connections to these sites/servers?

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 'unable to establish secure connection' on mac. Fine on phone.

To answer your Q literally but not necessarily helpfully:

@IanMcBenz wrote:

What have o2's 4g network and bb got that ee's 4g network hasn't? That enabled my mac to establish secure connections to these sites/servers?

Not employing Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) which EE's mobile network does but I can't see it can have anything to do with your issue. Can you?

I would have thought a change to public DNS would be a good solution.

Please post URL. It might help.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by IanMcBenz
Explorer

@XRaySpeX wrote:

To answer your Q literally but not necessarily helpfully:

@IanMcBenz wrote:

Not employing Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) which EE's mobile network does but I can't see it can have anything to do with your issue. Can you?

I would have thought a change to public DNS would be a good solution.

Please post URL. It might help.

I searched through a few posts and CGNAT does seemt to crop up quite often for similar issues. My understanding of it is very limited (zero). As I said I've never had this issue and the only element that has changed recently (just over a month) is me switching to ee, coupled with the fact I currently don't have access to wifi.

The URL is https://support.beanstalkapp.com/ it's the help area for the git respositories that I also cannot access. The 'strange' thing is I can view that page on the phone itself (obviously using it's own 4g) A support guy from beanstalk asked me to try a few things on the mac, flush the dns, try alternative dns addresses, all of which I tried. 

The git repositories I access via an app on the mac (Netbeans) and all I get is 'incorrect credentials' when I try and access any of the repositories, but those same credentials work ok when I'm on bb or was on my old o2 4g hotspot.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Usually the CGNAT issues I come across concern unsolicited incoming requests to an EE device not initiated outgoing requests from an EE device.

Another area to consider might be IPv4 vs. IPv6.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @IanMcBenz

If you can view the sites ok on your phone then it's not EE 4G connection which is the issue but your MAC browsers. If you have used 02 then clearing your browser cache might help. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.