by ukguy Established Contributor
Established Contributor

throttle 4g

EE say they do not throttle anything but peer 2 peer, however when I switch to 4g then try to download some large tar.gz files, the speed drops massively until it's equivelent to about 5mb. A speedtest show 50-70mb.

Even our 17mb landline from another provider is 3 times faster than EE downloading tar or zip files.

Seems to be they throttle these files....

Edit: This is the same on a 4g 12 monthly phone sim and a 4g 30 day data sim.

49 REPLIES 49
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: throttle 4g

You sure it isn't the website throttling it?

I know some do.

Sammobile throttle you unless you are a paid premium member.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10 Beta)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Not even P2P is throttled.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

No it's not the website as it's a vps storage server with a 1GB connection.

I can download 3 times faster on the home broadband which is 17mb. So on 4G 60mb it should be MUCH faster. But it's the opposite. Son as I switch to 4G it's a third of the speed.

Established Contributor

Definitely throttled.

Before 2am 0.6-1MB/s

After 2am between 4 and 6MB/s

Around 6 times faster.

So they throttle rsync, ssh, scp etc except between 2am and 8am. No mention of this anywhere...

Edit: The speeds are almost the same via VPN or direct. VPN is marginally slower which is expected but only up to 0.3mb +/-

Established Contributor

The EE Traffic Management for Mobile Broadband guide shows there is supposed to be no throttling, so there definitely something wrong.

I'll try to get this resolved before I end my contract if it's not supposed to slow down.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Recently swapped to EE 78mb fibre - certain traffic types being throttled

@ukguy wrote:

so it seems ot be a network throttle like they do with P2P.

There is no throttling of P2P, neither on Fixed BB network nor on mobile network. This OP even confirmed it in a test as you can read.

Your source on this is flawed, if you take the trouble to read their "Source".

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

That reference is only for MBB. Are you using a MBB device?

Established Contributor

what do you mean "Your source on this is flawed, if you take the trouble to read their "Source"."

Are you claming that what I can see here is a lie? All I can say is that the connection speeded up x6 after 2am. How dare you accuse me of lieing.

I came here to find help, not have someone like you claming nothing is wrong. What are you, some kind of forum king that answers every post in your sleep?

The connection WAS throttled, I saw it and I tested everything else, there was nothing else whatsoever slowing the connection.

Established Contributor

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ukguy: What is your source for claiming "EE say they do not throttle anything but peer 2 peer" & I'll show you what I mean? I'm not claiming anything about what behaviour you are seeing but what you are saying that EE say.

Established Contributor

Discussed elsewhere in the forum. I'm not claiming sources, I'm not getting picky with words here and on the defensive, I'm just trying to find out why the connection was slow. I may be wrong, if I am I accept that. I'm only reading posts on here to try and determine the reason the connection was throttled (or appeared to be) when I thought EE did not throttle.

Highlighted
Established Contributor

I can't find it now but I saw somewhere that P2P was throttled 2am-8am, it may no longer apply which is fair enough. It's just wierd my connection when x6 at 2am, which could mean ssh is mistaken for P2P. However, that doesn't apply if P2P is not throttled.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's your problem, not mine. I'm just trying to see if I can help. I am familiar with ISPs' TM policies.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Perhaps you read it in Traffic Management & Throttling on UK Mobile Networks , which seems to mirror your words, but if you look at their Source: EE Traffic Management Policy , which you have already discovered, you will see that nowt is throttled.

Established Contributor

No worries, I do appreciate any help.

One sim is 12 month contract sim only (30GB data, calls & texts)

The other sim is data only 30 day 30GB

Both MAX.

Not sure if MBB is different to data/broadband through mobile... or whether they now call MBB the 4G routers. When I asked before I was told the routers have a data sim in.

Neither are supposed to have throttling. Is there anything you know about in policies which could maybe affect this?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Mobile BB devices do have a data SIM in. They are usually routers but less frequently these days can be just dongles (modems). However they go over the same mobile network.

I thought EE did have a TM policy for its mobile network in general but I can't find it now. That is why I referred you at 1st to their MBB TM policy & then deleted it. However I can't see how they could distinguish; it's all data over the same network.

Established Contributor

Just found one source, https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/uk-mobile-traffic-management-throttling#EE

That's another I read but it points back to the traffic management pdf which you also posted, which says no throttling. Looks like they used to, but then updated the pdf.

Very weird from early afternoon, 12 hours piss poor 0.6MB/s on a 60mb 4G then at 2am it jumps to 6MB/s. The above article mentions 2am so it's all abit Sherlock.

I doubt we'll get an answer, just "we don't throttle" but somethings does! Thanks for trying to find an answer.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of some assistance. I see if I can come up with something overnight.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Up to now I have only thought about the point you raised about P2P, but you are not using P2P, so it doesn't matter anyway.  I don't think you are being throttled by policy but perhaps are by more random factors. There are 2 aspects I see to consider:

1. It takes 2 to tango! The server end might be restricting you. There are servers that slow you down when you make too large demands on them. The more you ask for, the slower you will get it, but you'll get it all eventually. This may be borne out by getting fast speedtests about the time you were getting slow server service. Are you experiencing this slowness with a variety of servers?
  2. With Fixed BB you generally get a constant reliable bandwidth, give or take, all the time. Mobile data can be far more variable & inconsistent, depending on a number of factors incl. the mast you are connected to as well as further down the network. Are you able to experiment with another network's SIM?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions