by GlennMealing
Explorer

scamsovercharging

Does anyone know about some third party billing scam(?) which clocks up data extras? EE says they'll refund no questions asked, but despite getting in touch several times, I've yet to get the refund. A work colleague had the same thing a few years ago. They're making interest, besides all those who don't notice.

12 REPLIES 12
by
EE Employee

Re: scamsovercharging

Good Evening @GlennMealing

Welcome to the Community! Smiley Happy

Third Party Services will show as additional services on your bill but are not for extra data.

You can get information on the charges on our Third Party Services help page.

Hope this helps!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What no. is shown in your bill against these charges?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by GlennMealing
Explorer

by GlennMealing
Explorer

Hi. I've looked into this via google, and now know about the scam. EE kept
saying they will sort it out, and block the offender. I kicked up a fuss
and they said they would credit my account with the £18 (plus the VAT,
because I pointed that out). I check my EE. Nothing about a credit, and
another two £4.50 charged for the next bill. The last adviser had also said
he would send a text, which never came. He also said I could save a copy of
the chat, but when I closed the chat, it came up with some error about no
match between a cookie, or some gobbledygook. I think the only escape is to
stop the DD and try another provider.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's a service ID for a third party charge. You can check these at http://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up/billing-and-payment/your-bill-explained/third-p...

The number you checked belongs to:

Third party number  Charge description  Contact details
 - Payforit
 GameLand Online (subscription - send STOP to 64546 to cancel) 
Provider - TxtNation  Phone - 01183244333  Email - help@pfi.me

Who can I talk to about my charges?
Get in touch with the third party directly – their contact details are above.
We only bill you on their behalf. So, we’re not able to answer questions about your charges or give you a refund.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

These will be reversed-charged texts from Premium Rate nos. you may have inadvertently subscribed to via Web or TV. EE are not obliged to refund you but you may complain to the Premium rate regulator Phone-paid Services Authority or the firm itself. You can check out those nos. yourself on that site.

You could try texting STOP to the number, but it may cost and may not work. 

You should also ask EE to block Premium Rate numbers so this doesn't happen in future.

by GlennMealing
Explorer

You ARE able to give me a refund. Your adviser said EE had done, after I
kicked off. I've googled and found out about this scam. This is what I
wrote to another reply on the forum:
"I've looked into this via google, and now know about the scam. EE kept
saying they will sort it out, and block the offender. I kicked up a fuss
and they said they would credit my account with the £18 (plus the VAT,
because I pointed that out). I check my EE. Nothing about a credit, and
another two £4.50 charged for the next bill. The last adviser had also said
he would send a text, which never came. He also said I could save a copy of
the chat, but when I closed the chat, it came up with some error about no
match between a cookie, or some gobbledygook. I think the only escape is to
stop the DD and try another provider."
by Grand Master
Grand Master

I don't give refunds. I'm not employed by EE. I'm just a user like you.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @GlennMealing

Thanks for posting again 🙂

In regards to any refunds or conversations concerning this, as we are a customer and peer to peer forum, we have no account access.

You would need to please get in touch with our customer services team directly.

When you select EE, you will be given an option for a live chat with one of our agents.

The information @Karen_C directed you to in regards to Third party services is correct and here is the information you need.

Who can I talk to about my charges?

PAYFORIT

GameLand Online (subscription - send STOP to 64546 to cancel)

Provider - TxtNation

Phone - 01183244333

Email - help@pfi.me

Get in touch with the third party directly – their contact details are above.

We only bill you on their behalf. So, we’re not able to answer questions about your charges or give you a refund.

How can I complain about my charges?

Contact the Phone Paid Services Authority – they regulate all premium rate numbers in the UK.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by Haydon-Berrow Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I'm with T-Mobile PAYG, but when I discovered a charge of £10 on my bill that I didn't understand I phoned 150 and they were very helpful. I was incensed about the charge because I thought I was being scammed but it turned out that I had unknowingly signed up for a paid-for reminder service for the MOT on my car. If I had used a laptop I would have realised but because I was using my phone the details were off the screen.

The helpful person on 150 gave me a number to text STOP to and an email address to write to. I emailed this address and said I wished my money to be returned under the law about the cooling-off period. I received an email answer almost immediately saying that arrangements had been started to refund me via the Post Office (and this subsequently happened) and explaining what I had signed up to. It was a reminder service for several dates on a car (MOT, insurance, tax) that covered several cars. £10 wasn't unreasonable.

This doesn't sound the same as happened to @GlennMealing but I don't recognise the scam he is describing.

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for sharing this information and joining the conversation @Haydon-Berrow

I am pleased to read, you got sorted out.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by Captain-Boufles Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Keep on at EE and they will refund you, as they have done for me and other customers.

Payforit and thrid party charges are a very dubious part of EEs business and if more people hold them responsible and demand refunds, then they might actually do something to protect thier customers....

What they wont tell you is that the third parties scamming you only need your phone number to charge your bill - And who gives them your number? Why that would be EE!

They also wont mention that EE keeps between 15% and 40% of all third party charges (dependent on mechanism used) so they have very little insentive to prevent the fraudulent charges.

Complain to EE, get your money back.

Then complain to the companies involved and get your money back from them too.

Then complain to the PSA

Also worth complaining to the ICO as EE have no legal right to pass you personal detail on to third parties without your consent.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.