by apolkinghorne

internet being used up quickly

Me and my mum both currently have iPhones under the same account with EE, I have 5GB of internet every month. I have had a text message telling me I have used 5GB of data between 18/4 and 7/5 which is clearly impossible. I then bought a 1GB add on 7/5 which has virtually all gone 2 days later. I have not made any changes and have never reached my 5GB limit before. My wifi assist has been turned off for months now. My mum is also having the same issue and she never uses her internet. There must be something going on that is out of our hands. Does anyone have any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: internet being used up quickly

Hi @apolkinghorne

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. 🙂

5GB of data during that time period is certainly possible. Here is a rough breakdown on the amount of data some apps/activities use:

Activity

Data Consumption (estimated)

Web browsing

1 – 4MB per minute

Uploading Photos

1.5MB per photo (depending on quality of image)

Facebook

1 – 2MB per minute

Maps navigation

100 - 200KB per minute

Gaming

1.5MB upwards per minute

Music Streaming

1 – 2MB per minute (standard sound quality)

Podcast Streaming

60 – 100MB per hour

Skype/Video Call

90MB – 1.4GB per hour (depending on quality)

YouTube/Video Streaming

2 – 3MB per minute

YouTube/Video Streaming HD

4 – 6MB per minute

I recommend following the steps below to understand which of your apps have used a large amount of mobile data:

Step Action
1. Tap Settings
2. Tap Mobile Data

Scroll down and each of your apps will have an amount of data next to them.

This is the amount of data that each app has used since the statistics were last reset (if ever).

I recommend scrolling to the bottom of that page and resetting the statistics.

Please monitor this going forward and let us know if there's anything unusual.

Hope this helps.

Chris 🙂

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: internet being used up quickly

@apolkinghorne wrote:

Me and my mum both currently have iPhones under the same account with EE, I have 5GB of internet every month. I have had a text message telling me I have used 5GB of data between 18/4 and 7/5 which is clearly impossible. I then bought a 1GB add on 7/5 which has virtually all gone 2 days later. I have not made any changes and have never reached my 5GB limit before. My wifi assist has been turned off for months now. My mum is also having the same issue and she never uses her internet. There must be something going on that is out of our hands. Does anyone have any ideas?

Can you go into Settings/Mobile Data. Scroll down to the Mobile Data section and have a look down the list of apps and see if any of them show a high amount of data been used please.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.