Highlighted
by
Explorer

if I buy a pay as you go SIM, can I share data to others via wifi hotspot?

HI

My family and I will be traveling to EDI in late May. I am considering to buy a pay as you go SIM and collect the SIM in EDI town centre. My queries are:

1. Can I share data to others via wifi hotspot?

2. After visiting Scotland, we will be flying to Madrid, can we use the same SIM card in Madrid? Will that be attracting roaming charges on data / voice? What are current rates if that is the case?

3. If we purchsae the SIM online and collect it in EDI town centre, do we need to observe any lead time?

kind regards

Alex Chan

Hong Kong

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
Community Hero
Solution
Accepted by James_B (EE Community Support Team)
2 weeks ago

Re: if I buy a pay as you go SIM, can I share data to others via wifi hotspot?

[ Edited ]

@kowai167

1. Yes, all EE plans, including pay as you go allow tethering (hotspot) use.

2. Yes, as you are traveling within the EU before June 15th, you will be charged for any roaming calls, texts or data (from June 15th, all EU mobile networks including those in the U.K. are abolishing EU roaming charges.)

Roaming costs can be found here.  Click on 4GEE, enter the country and then click on the 'Pay as you Go' tab.

You will need to top-up your pay as you go SIM to be able to use it within the EU.  In the U.K. any top up will be converted into a 'pack' of calls/texts and data allowances lasting up to 30 days.  You will need to top up more before you travel outside the UK as those packs don't work outside the UK.

3. The easiest thing to do is either see if there are any vending machines or concession stands at the airport once you arrive, most do now sell all U.K. network SIM cards aimed at visitors.  Either that or call into an EE store to purchase the SIM.  Most supermarkets and convenience stores do also sell SIM card packs too.

Have a great trip Smiley Happy

2 REPLIES
by
Community Hero
Solution
Accepted by James_B (EE Community Support Team)
2 weeks ago

[ Edited ]

@kowai167

1. Yes, all EE plans, including pay as you go allow tethering (hotspot) use.

2. Yes, as you are traveling within the EU before June 15th, you will be charged for any roaming calls, texts or data (from June 15th, all EU mobile networks including those in the U.K. are abolishing EU roaming charges.)

Roaming costs can be found here.  Click on 4GEE, enter the country and then click on the 'Pay as you Go' tab.

You will need to top-up your pay as you go SIM to be able to use it within the EU.  In the U.K. any top up will be converted into a 'pack' of calls/texts and data allowances lasting up to 30 days.  You will need to top up more before you travel outside the UK as those packs don't work outside the UK.

3. The easiest thing to do is either see if there are any vending machines or concession stands at the airport once you arrive, most do now sell all U.K. network SIM cards aimed at visitors.  Either that or call into an EE store to purchase the SIM.  Most supermarkets and convenience stores do also sell SIM card packs too.

Have a great trip Smiley Happy

by
Explorer

thank you

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.