by TribalHound Contributor
Contributor

iOS 12 lost 3G data option

Since updating to iOS 12 there is no ability to use 3G mobile data.

EE carriers version was updated to version 33 in the same bundle.

Something in the iOS / carrier version update has removed option to connect with 2g & 3G data versions for calls / texts / mobile data.

I live and work in poor EE signal areas, so almost 100% reliant on 2 or 3G data, but this has been removed from mobile data menu option in the upgrade.

Other carriers (O2 & giffgaff) can upgrade to iOS 12 without same issue, so this is clearly an EE network / software issue which renders my iPhone as a Wi-fi tablet.

Response from EE - factory reset phone and don’t upgrade to ios12 - this is not an acceptable solution!!

Keen to know what EE’s opinion and response are to this clear issue.

Also, post reply if you have same issue or aware of other networks with same.

37 REPLIES 37
Contributor

Re: iOS 12 lost 3G data option

iPhone 7 here too..

Get Outlook for iOS
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Since EE is refarming spectrum from 3G to 4G, the 3G capacity (and therefore performance) will drop to make way for improved 4G. As a result, from a customer experience point of view, as well as a network one, EE will not want people with 4G capable devices to be using 3G. As many people have got 4G turned off based on false beliefs and obscure reasons, from a network engineering perspective, I support them disabling the option to disable 4G. 

It's bizarre that you get a better experience on 2G/3G compared to 4G. This is a phenomenon I have never experienced on EE and am trying to think how it is technically plausible based on their parameters and configuration.

Contributor

Without doubt I get a better experience with 4g - that’s not the issue.

The issue is at home / work there is no 4g signal.. therefore without the ability to use 2/3G I simply get no data at all. This renders all apps / internet as useless.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TribalHound  The option your referencing in Data Options changed a long time ago ( before iOS 12 ) and now you’ve finally updated your carrier settings with the install of iOS 12..   Just turning 4G off will stop the device from trying to find a 4G signal and restricted it to 3G/2G.     The device even with 4G on will try and use 3G/2G if there is no 4G signal anyway.  

Contributor

I have always had latest iOS, so the change has clearly happened in the bundled step to iOS 12. It’s not like I jumped two years in one upgrade.

my point is that under mobile data it only lists 4g or roaming options. On other networks they still have 2g and 3G options.

if I switch 4g data on then I get no signal / data as it’s only looking for a 4g signal.

If I switch 4g off then since the carrier version has no 2g /3G options then it stops looking for data / signal all together.

Please don’t tell me that it does, as the evidence is clear that I can’t make calls or access web.

EE has ‘broken’ something somewhere without proper QA. All I need is admission and a hotfix so that I, and anyone else don’t have a continuation of same issue.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TribalHound  It wasn’t iOS it was a carrier update.  Your carrier build was really old and that has now been updated.   This has been like this for over a year now,.  You can believe me or not that’s your choice. 

And if 4G is on and the device can not pickup a 4G signal as the device is always looking for the best signal it will pick up a 3G signal.  1 bar of 4G is a better signal than 4 bars of 3G and so on down to GPRS ( 2G ).  

Nothing is broken as everyone would be having issues when they updated to iOS 12 don’t you think.  

Contributor

We agree it’s not iOS 12 and I never said it was as I’ve checked with other networks on iOS 12 and they don’t have the issue.

Same issue doesn’t happen with old carrier versions prior to 33 on EE either.

In the bundled upgrade EE gave me the carrier version 33 is present.

It is this ‘software’ that now doesn’t hand down data to 3 / 2 g.

I live and work in areas where 4g is not accessible. During these times I have no internet / data.

Cleary something isn’t right else this wouldn’t be the case, as my wife, also on EE doesn’t have same issue on an older phone.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TribalHound  Have you tried a network reset on the device?   

If you switch off 4G does the device pick up 3G ?   As in the image below. 

A668579E-D062-4BE7-A380-5E3F801BA52A.png

Having 4G enabled shouldn’t stop the device picking up 3G/2G if there is no 4G signal to pick up as your only allowing the device to pick up a 4G signal as well as 3G/2G.  The device will always show and try and use the better signal and 4G is better than 3G.   This might not be the strongest signal but it is the better signal.    

Please try the network reset and see what happens. 

Contributor

51DCDA11-E2EA-4F08-AB24-792936A2E08E.png

As above - switch off 4g and 3 g ‘displays’ in status bar.

Chrome displays message no mobile data.. Same as using any app that requires data.

The issue appears not in the switch, but in connection. Since we are not in 4g area, this is constant until I drive 4 miles up road to a 4g area.

Contributor

Incidentally.. with 4g on / off at home it only ever displays 3G in status bar

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TribalHound  So the device is doing what it should do and pick up 3G when 4G is not available in the area your in.    Turning on 4G doesn’t mean the device will only use 4G your just allowing the device to use 4G as well as 3G/2G. Turning off 4G will only stop the device from using 4G but the device will pick up 3G/2G.  

The options that your used too still work now except you can not restrict the device to just using 2G.   It’s now 4G/3G/2G or it’s 3G/2G. This is just controlled by switching off/on 4G in mobile data.  

Contributor

The status bar indicates the device is doing what it should...

But total lack of data means that it isn’t actually happening.

I’m basically left with a device that’s a glorified Wi-fi tablet, unless I happen to be in a 4g signal area.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TribalHound  Have you tried the network reset as I suggested ? 

Contributor

774B8883-741E-4570-84D4-117BCAE4F344.jpeg

Done that, this is the error when opening safari / chrome  

by onedavebamber Investigator
Investigator

I have the exact same issue as described here.

iPhone 7, and this problem started since I upgraded to iOS12.

When I'm in a 4G area, there are no issues, but the office I work in has poor 4G and so the phone often defaults to 3G and then I get no mobile data.

Before someone asks, yes I've turned it off and on again, toggled mobile data off and on and also done the Reset Network Settings process. None of this has worked.

Very frustrating.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @onedavebamber

Have you tried backing your information up and resetting to factory settings?

Chris

Investigator

No, why should I have to go to such extreme lengths and inconvenience for an error on EE's side?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I've just checked EE on iOS 12 on my iPhone. 3G is working as it should be for me and I have an IPv6 address. There have been a number of 3G related issues reported over the apst few days though which is a little strange.

Investigator

What carrier are you on @Peter_C?

Mine says EE 33.0

That seems to be the same one that @TribalHound is also reporting issues with.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.