by doobs Investigator
Investigator

data usage on cruise ship

Hi - I am going on a cruise to Norwegain Fjords from Uk - I have data roaming enabled but was advised to turn this off/airplane mode at sea before using data or wifi on shore (I am on a maxplan). If i register for the £5 500mb travel data pass I understand i can use date/web etc etc whilst at sea using the onboard ship maritime network. Is this correct as it is cheaper than using the onbaord wifi! If this is correct, do I turn off mobile data whilst at sea  - I was advised that the data used is different to mobile data so mobile data should be turned off?

Advice please!

8 REPLIES 8
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: data usage on cruise ship

The travel data pass does not cover maritime on-board mobile networks unfortunately.  The cost of using those are very expensive (details here including data add-on costs) so you are better off sticking to using WiFi.

Once you get on land, you can then start using mobile data again and as long as you remain within the EU, that won't cost you anything extra.

by doobs Investigator
Investigator

thanks - that link mentions a "buy data add on" do you know what the cost of that is and what data amount it covers?  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @doobs

I was looking at doing something similar so please let us know how you get on. You maybe able to pick up land based mobile masts but I don't know how good the network will be. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@doobs wrote:

that link mentions a "buy data add on" do you know what the cost of that is and what data amount it covers?  

Yes, they're just below at the foot of that page; 3 of them ranging from £11 to £40.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

At those costs, the allowances are very very small as well.  £11 for just 11Mb of data is insane!  Even the £40 add-on only come swith 45Mb of data.  That will last you less than an hour.

Best to avoid those add-ons.

by
EE Employee

Hi @doobs and welcome to the community.

You don't need to turn off data roaming as if you were connected to the ships mast you would be prompted to purchase data before any use.

Do bear in mind you would then be charged ships costs for calls and texts.

If you were lucky enough to connect to a shore mast as mentioned by @Northerner the internet would connect without being prompted to purchase data and you would use your minutes as you would normally.

Many thanks,

Lee

by doobs Investigator
Investigator

Hi  - It was much as been said (in particlular by Lee) - whilst at/in open sea if you have mobile data on, it connects to e.g    ... maritime network which is costly if used - we switched to airplane mode at those points losing all connectivity - once you are within sight of land, through a little trial and error you toggle mobile data on and off and as soon as you connect to a landbased network (without "maritime" mentioned) you can used your inclsive data/text/calls etc

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for the update @doobs Smiley Happy

Hope you had a great time.

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.