by PAINTYBOY Contributor
Contributor

data rollover

When I purchase extra data why can I not have this roll over or be refunded for and unused data when my monthly allowance is renewed? 

16 REPLIES 16
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: data rollover

@PAINTYBOY  It's simple EE are a business that has to make money.  Only purchase what you need and if you require more date on a regular basis it might be worth uping your tariff to include more data.  

by Duxfordred
Explorer

I notice that O2, Vodafone and Virgin all offer data rollover and make money. I wonder how long EE can survive if they don't follow suit?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Duxfordred Vodafone data roll over is just for the following month it then expires and what left on that month will then roll over and then expire the following month.  Basically you’ll have data roll over each month, if you don’t use it then you’ll loose it the next month and so on. You’ll not gain anything from this unless you use all the data that rolls over but then nothing will roll over the next month so you back to your standard data allowance.   And I bet the other networks do something similar.    Your only getting a second chance to use I but you’ll have data the next month anyway.    It’s not that impressive what you look in to it.    

by Duxfordred
Explorer

Thank you Chris, not sure of what that means, but I’m grateful for your help. Real data rollover would be an excellent attraction for a progressive company.

Mike

xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx

[Mod edit: Please do not share personal details as your posts are visible to the public. Thanks!]

by Togethia Investigator
Investigator

I believe market forces will change this mercenary approach to data rollover.

I understand EE is a business and as to make money, but EE made £651M profit last year, so I am pretty sure they can afford to be a bit more flexible on data rollover.

It is an outdated, old fashioned and irksome business practice, to "steal" unused data in this way.

I would say this is one of the primary gripes of EE customers.

Sky mobile now roll unused data over for up to 36months.  So market forces will hopefully mean EE has to do the same or lose business.

Pete

by Togethia Investigator
Investigator

Quote "not that impressive" but infinitely more impressive than "not rolling over anything".

Sky mobile does it for 3 years, that seems impressive to me.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Togethia  I suggest you look more into the sky offer.   You only get it back once you have accumulated 1 GB and then if you don’t use that in the following month you lose it.  

Your purchasing an allowance it’s up to you if you use it or not and it’s not  stealing it as it’s an allowance of that month your not complaining about unlimited text messages which are on  majority of the contracts and also unlimited minutes.   If your not using the whole amount perhaps taking out a contract with a smaller allowance would of been better. 

by Togethia Investigator
Investigator

So what you re actually saying, is that the Sky offer is not very good, and the Virgin rollover is not very good either.

However,  you are omitting that the fact that both of these offers that you claim "are not very good" are infinitely better than "no rollover at all" which means infinitely better than EE currently.

The more you "diss" the competition,  the bigger hole you are digging for EE's offering because its actually worse than the offers you just criticised.

So I would like to see you try and justify that.

by Togethia Investigator
Investigator

We are also not talking about "text messages" or "unlimited minutes" we are talking about data so that part of your response is completely irrelevant, but a nice try at a diversion albeit a completely transparent one.

So lets stick to the facts, other operators offer some form of data rollover one way or another, and EE doesn't. Bottom line: for data contracts that makes EE worse.

Data rollover will be coming, its just a matter of time and market forces.

by Togethia Investigator
Investigator

also what sky are offering seems to be rather better than you suggest.

"unused data can be banked for up to 36 months in 1G increments, you may choose to use any part of your banked data in 1G chunks or pass it on to associated phone accounts in friends or family so thay can use it as well".

So this means if I accumulated say 5G of data rollover, I can use that data in 1Gig chunks for up to 36Months from the point of accrual.   Any unused data as part of a 1G increment is lost at the end of the 2nd month from when the rollover data was "dipped into".   Which means if I used say 900megs of my banked 5G data, if I don't use the additional 100M by the end of the following month from when I started using then that 100M lost.

Now lets compare that to EE:

You cant, there is no comparison, they don't offer any data rollover.

EE is worse.   QED

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Togethia  Not forcing anything when it’s fact.   Your monthly payment buys an allowance how you use that or not use it is up to you.  Again fact.  You entered a contract knowing full well what that gives you .  Again fact.  

by Togethia Investigator
Investigator

In your eagerness to quote "facts" you've gone all "corporate".

We aren't discussing what is or isn't part of a contract that has been enter into.

We are discussing how EE doesn't roll over data like its competitors and how this is in inferior product offering.

So when we discussed facts related to "what is or isn't better" you reply is "well you're in a contract so tough luck", which isn't what we were discussing at all.

We were discussing the terms of rollover data, which you seemed to have forgotten completely.

You may now apologise for your oversight, or forever be ignored.  Your choice.  But do try to stay on topic.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Togethia  I’am staying on topic,  you entered a contract knowing full well what that gave you.  You are purchasing an allowance and that allowance is reset at the end of the monthly cycle.  I’m not saying EE will not change this but at present this is not an option that’s available.   

One could argue that sky doesn’t offer wifi calling and Vodafone only have it on select tariffs so in effect you are paying to use the service and you also don’t get text messages via this service and O2 only have it available to the most newest devices ( ie iPhone 7 only ) so one could say EE offer a superior product.    Not all networks do the same or offer the same products if they did how could that network entice new customers.    If your not happy with a network and what it gives you you are not forbidden to change networks.  

by Togethia Investigator
Investigator

#offtopicagain

#ignored

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Togethia  But you still replied.  And to point out Please read your acting like a child.   

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Togethia,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback, I'll make sure it's passed on for you.

When you get to the end of your current contract, please get in touch with customer services and they'll be happy to help you find a plan that better suits your data usage.

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.