by rhstylianou Investigator
Investigator

cannot stream netflix on 4G EE broadband

I live in LN8 3RN - very rural. My internet connection is via 4G EE broadband and the cell tower is about 400 m in clear view. I have good internet speeds (usually 60 down, 40 up). Since Saturday 5/10/19 I can not stream netflix. No changes to my equipment/settings or anything. If I switch to my Vodafone or O2 backup 4G broadband - no problem at all. Go back to EE nothing streams (the circular icon hangs at 24%). What is going on???? Anyone????? Tech support says there is nothing wrong with the EE service. I beg to differ! Can anyone help??????

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: cannot stream netflix on 4G EE broadband

I raised this problem here but I guess nobody knew the answer - Netflix will not stream  directly from a smart TV connected on the 4G EE broadband. So, having spent countless hours searching the web, talking to customer support etc, NOTHING has helped. It appears it is a new privacy update on EE which is incompatible with the pre-installed Netflix app on most smart TVs. The complaints are just beginning to trickle in. And wait for it - THERE IS NO WORK AROUND. Thanks guys but I have found the only work around in town - I have replaced all the equipment with Vodafone Giga + unlimited 5G SIM and everything works fine now. So its 'arrivederci' EE, hello Vodafone....for the time being!!! 

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Could be your Switching Content Lock OFF or ON . It is switched on on new & upgraded contracts & seems to affect social sites. If just switching it OFF doesn't help, try switching it to STRICT, reboot your device and then switching it to OFF. That is seeming to do the trick. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks for that. However it has always been off.

Netfix was working fine until Saturday evening 5/10/19.

I tried 3 different EE sims and they all displayed the same problem - none
of them would stream netfix direct from my Sam QLED TV.

However Netflix would stream through Sky Q box (my netflix account is
through Sky).

Any ideas?

R
Investigator

I have tried 6 different EE sim cards in my LTE router and NONE streams netflix direct (all have restrictions off) – netflix only streams via my Sky Q box and not from TV.

I have also tried 2 different Vodafone sims and they work fine streaming direct from TV

I have tried 1 sim from O2 and it works fine.

I have tried a sim from 3 and it works fine.

All sims inserted in the same LTE router and using the same cabling and settings.

I think I can safely assume its an EE problem.

R

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi and welcome to the community, @rhstylianou.

Could you try turning the content lock to STRICT, and then back OFF please?

Chris

Investigator

I have tried that about 10 times! All household TVs connected to internet
via 4G EE display this behaviour - they will not connect to Netflix directly
as long as the LTE router has an EE sim card in it.

I have swapped the LTE router with 2 other identical ones - no luck

I have tried 6 different EE sim cards - no luck

I swapped the external antenna with 3 different ones - no luck

I disconnected the external antenna - no difference

As soon as I change the SIM to a Vodafone/O2/3 (I get good signal on all) -
everything works as it should.

I have no idea what EE has done to this cell tower recently but its messed
it up for me.

I am beginning to assume that this problem will not be resolved and EE tech
support is brushing it aside because is too complex for them.

I am beginning to think that a second Vodafone connection will the best
option to replace the EE one.
Investigator
Solution

I raised this problem here but I guess nobody knew the answer - Netflix will not stream  directly from a smart TV connected on the 4G EE broadband. So, having spent countless hours searching the web, talking to customer support etc, NOTHING has helped. It appears it is a new privacy update on EE which is incompatible with the pre-installed Netflix app on most smart TVs. The complaints are just beginning to trickle in. And wait for it - THERE IS NO WORK AROUND. Thanks guys but I have found the only work around in town - I have replaced all the equipment with Vodafone Giga + unlimited 5G SIM and everything works fine now. So its 'arrivederci' EE, hello Vodafone....for the time being!!! 

by Kubbie
Explorer

Having the same problem, the picture quality has been degrading over the past few days and a lot of the options now on Netflix are now blank and take forever to appear 

by

Hi @Kubbie.

Welcome to the community.

Could you try checking your postcode in our Network Status Checker?

Is it just Netflix or do you have trouble using other services too?

Jon

by Kubbie
Explorer

Its just Netflix, I am currently in the process of going through diagnostics with EE.

I've moved over from Sky broadband  to EE a month ago the issue began a week or so ago 

by

Thanks @Kubbie.

Let us know how you get on with that 🙂

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.