by flyingcat Investigator
Investigator

can a device bought from 3rd party to share EE data?

I am thinking to buy a mini pad to share My EE data, however, same products on EE shop/updates cost much more than just buy the same product from Argos or john Lewis. So My question is whether I can put the new device I buy from Argos on My EE plan? and how? Many thanks. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: can a device bought from 3rd party to share EE data?

Yes, as long as it has an EE 12-month contract SIM in it & they are under the same a/c.

See Gift Your Data and Set Controls .

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Yes, as long as it has an EE 12-month contract SIM in it & they are under the same a/c.

See Gift Your Data and Set Controls .

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@flyingcat  They cost more because your also having a data plan with it, a contract    If you purchase from apple there is no contract so you need then to have a contract or payg to use the device over a cellular connection. But you can not share data from your account to a payg sim.  

by flyingcat Investigator
Investigator

Now i really think EE 'share data' thing is a sales gimmick to sell more product/contract. 

I have a 20gb contract and keen to share My date. I have dragged My husband over from Vodafone and only be told by EE he has to be with EE for 3 months before he is allowed to share My data. Today I tried to get a pad from EE so i can share My data with this new pad. And I find 1) it costs much more than buying from 3rd party; 2) I have to sign up a 24 months contract with 2GB data for the pad.

I do not need more data. quite opposite I want to give My data away. I am starting to think just buy a pad from 3rd party then just using 'tetherring' to share data. it really does not make sense to sign up another contract and end up with even more data. i have a job and cannot watch movie whole day. 😒

Can anyone advise me the Pro and Con of 'tetherring' via sign up a new contract every time I want to add a new device to my plan? If payg be allowed to share My plan, it Would have be petfect for me. Thanks. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @flyingcat.

As @XRaySpeX has mentioned, you will be able to gift data between contract lines that are on the same account. 

If you're looking to take an iPad from a third party, you would need a SIM only contract from EE to share data.

If you take an iPad from EE directly, you can get a tariff with low data and then gift your own data across to it.

Both SIM only deals and 24 month contracts can be found in our online shop.

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.