by Taylorcpfc Investigator
Investigator

Withings/Nokia home cctv problem

So it seems anyone on EE who owns a Withings (now Nokia) home camera cannot view the live feed via cellular network on their mobile device as advertised with the sale of the product.

The problem as far as I'm aware is only with EE and Nokia are aware and claim to be working on a solution. Unfortunately they've apparently been working on the solution for weeks and still have no idea when they will fix the problem.

You cannot contact Nokia by phone to discuss the problem and they take days to reply to any email you send.

Knowing the fault exists they haven't made any mention of it on their website for future potential customers on EE stating the product will not work as advertised.

This i think is a breach of UK trading standards as the advert will be misleading. 

Anyone experiencing this issue who want a refund especially if you bought direct from Withings or Nokia regardless of how long they've owned the product should contact trading standards and make a formal complaint. 

Its pretty easy to do, i just did.

For a company as big as Nokia i think they're taking the p*** and are deliberately withholding the information from future potential buyers of the product and are seriously lacking in resolving the issue.

I've spoken to at least half a dozen people via email over the last 6 weeks all with a reply times of 48hrs minimum, asked to speak directly with management twice and been ignored and no sign of a solution.

9 REPLIES 9
by prssvicky Investigator
Investigator

Re: Withings/Nokia home cctv problem

So, Ive been having the same issue.

i had my device replaced twice due to some other factory problems... now it works, but live view is not loading on EE 4G.

something had to change not long ago forr it to stop working like... 

we need answers from both ends! Nokia and EE need to start talking to each other like 2 big boys! 

Investigator

I think what changed is that when Nokia took over they did an app update and it hasn't worked since.

The level of customer service Nokia are providing is shocking, something you'd expect from some Micky mouse, two bob company not a multi billion pound one like Nokia.

They are literally just shrugging their shoulders from what i can tell.

i've had enough. 

Investigator

I think Mickey Mouse would have done better...

i have nothing against their CS as they replaced the camera a couple of times already... but it kills me to know that two major companies like these are not trying very very very hard to fix an issue not happening on other providers... the problem is simple: EE will not miss a fortune if Nokia Withings customers switch to a different network provider, nor Nokia will go broke if we just simply give up and move to a different camera...

it kills me cause I LOVE my wee camera... and the integration with the Watch... 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Taylorcpfc wrote:

as advertised with the sale of the product.

To be clear, which product, Withings/Nokia's CCTV or EE's mobile device?

This issue is not confined to Withings CCTV but affects many other CCTVs & security cameras intended to be viewed over the Net. It's probably down to EE employing IPv6 and/or CGNAT (Carrier-grade NAT) in its network.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I can only speak for the product I own.

i have one Withings Nokia Home camera... and every time stays "loading " when on 4G... so basically I cannot do Live streaming.

at the same time I have a Ring Outdoor Camera... and this one works perfectly well on 4G streaming 

as you can see, I ruled out other cameras as i have one that worked amazingly on 4g and the other one... not so much

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I know you can.

There are 2 methods for connecting a mobile device to an IP Camera. Some camera manufacturers provide both but some only the 1st.

1. A direct connection over the Net from an app on the mobile device & its mobile network to the camera, requiring using the public IP addy & port of the camera. This is the case that seems to go wrong over the EE mobile network.
  2. The manufacturer provides a Cloud website that is in constant communication with your camera over the wider Net completely separate from your mobile network. You then need only to browse to the Cloud website & login to see your camera image. You don't need to use the public IP addy of the camera & as you are just using a browser to go to a website there is no issue with IPv6 or CGNAT.

I would guess your Withings is only of type 1 but I would expect Ring, being a complete home security supplier, to be of type 2.

I have a D-Link IP Camera that does both methods & it never fails using D-Link's Cloud website. I'm not on the EE mobile network so Method 1 also works as long as I keep changing to the current IP addy of the camera whenever it changes after a resync.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

"To be clear, which product, Withings/Nokia's CCTV or EE's mobile device"

I'm I'm referring to the camera manufacturer, Withings/Nokia.

i too have another camera in use not made by Withings/Nokia and have no problem with viewing it.

the problem for me seems to be just with their product.

Investigator

Hey...

so, I have the withings (Nokia) Home camera. You cannot access it via its IP address or Mac Address as its only viewable via their app. That way they ensure you pay a fee for recording and going back. My Ring camera does the same. But for some bizarre reason Ring works like a charm in 4G and nokia stays "loading"... when on wifi I have zero issues. To clarify... "loading" happens when trying to view Live Streaming. If I want to watch past events, they work like a charm... and by saying past events Im referring to a second ago... but live, live doesn't work! Ive seen this issue across the board with EE customers on a recent update... a few months ago, I had no issues whatsover.

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming here and sharing @prssvicky

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.