by Annac0512 Investigator
Investigator

Why is my data allowance reducing even though I’m not using the phone & on WiFi?

My data allowance reset today but when I woke up I had somehow gone from 4gb down to 3.8gb even though I was connected to the house WiFi and as I was asleep I was obviously not using my phone.  Also I have just checked my allowance again and it has gone down even more to 3.2gb even though I have been connected to WiFi throughout the day. I usually am able to get through nearly 2 weeks before getting down to this amount and to get to it in one day is ridiculous.  Any ideas as to why this has happened?  Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Why is my data allowance reducing even though I’m not using the phone &

Hello @Annac0512,

Welcome to the community,

There are some apps that only work over data, unfortunately, so I would suggest you go into settings and check under mobile data to see which of your apps is using data, when connected to WiFi.

Also are you sure that you do not get disconnected sometimes? It will depend where your router is and how the signal is where your phone is when you are asleep.

Under settings, mobile data, make sure that apps are only updated over WiFi, if you have not already done so.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Annac0512

Welcome to the community. 🙂

I see @Schockwave has already offered some brilliant advice above.

What is the make and model of the phone that you're using?

I'll do my best to help.

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Annac0512  Is WiFi assist switched on ?  Is in mobile data and you want it off or your device will use a cellular signal if the cellular signal is better than a WiFi signal. 

Investigator

Re: Why is my data allowance reducing even though I’m not using the phone

Thank you for replying.

I had already checked which apps are to use data and only the relevant ones do and I have them set up to only update manually.

My router is in the same room as my phone during the evening and over night. But even if the signal did drop why would data be used if the phone isn’t in use and there are no apps running in the background.

Sent from my iPad
Investigator

Hi Chris,

It’s an iPhone 6

Anna

Sent from my iPad
Investigator

Hiya,

My WiFi assist is switched off.

Thanks

Anna

Sent from my iPad
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Annac0512

Thanks for replying 🙂

Have you taken a look at our How much Internet data are you using on EE support article?

Are you making sure you are closing down your apps when not in use?

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.