by wilsonham
Visitor

Why does EE charge a picture message rate for group texts

I have an iphone 6SE and wish to text a group of up to 15 people but am charged for a picture message for this.How do I avoid these charges

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by ukperson Established Contributor
Established Contributor
Solution

Re: Why does EE charge a picture message rate for group texts

@wilsonham

Your phone is what decides to send as MMS or not (nothing to do with ee) 

For mass sending of messages best using whatsapp but every one will need whatsapp as well (or turning off MMS if iphone allows it on group message) 

I believe some alternative sms apps allow mass group sending (but not sure if you can do that on iphone) 

3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@wilsonham   You can not avoid the charge if you send group text messages if some of the recipients don't have iPhones or have iMessage turned on an iPhone 

You could use what's app.  But all  recipients will need WhatsApp also.  This will only use data.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Cuz a group text is sent as an MMS, for which you are charged 40p each.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by ukperson Established Contributor
Established Contributor
Solution

@wilsonham

Your phone is what decides to send as MMS or not (nothing to do with ee) 

For mass sending of messages best using whatsapp but every one will need whatsapp as well (or turning off MMS if iphone allows it on group message) 

I believe some alternative sms apps allow mass group sending (but not sure if you can do that on iphone) 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.