by Jloldham Investigator
Investigator

Why can I no longer connect to IPv4 services since the V6 upgrades?

Since EE has upgraded to IPv6 i cannot connect to aload of the business i work for services which use IPv4,  if you try and PING the service or browse to it you just get timeouts. 

When will EE get this working again as i would imagine there are other people with this issue as there is not many people yet to adopt IPv6

Many Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why can I no longer connect to IPv4 services since the V6 upgrades?

@Jloldham  IPv6 is the new standard and companies should be updating to this standard.  

by Jloldham Investigator
Investigator

HI Chris,

Easier said than done, it will take time before all companies have moved over to IPv6 there not just going to switch it on.

In some cases business have to go through alot of proccesses and testing before they can roll such a thing out and like I said not many companies have adopted the IPv6 standard and are still running IPv4.

So it does seam silly that at this early stage of IPv6 ee are  preventing you getting to ipv4 services over the network, looks like i'll be moving provider ;( 

Ta

Jordan  

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Jloldham, My new phone shows it has both IPv4 and 6, so not sure why you cannot connect, my IPad for cellular does not have IPv6, only has IPV4.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Jloldham,

Welcome to the EE Community.

You should still be able to access IPv4 services.

Please get in touch so our technical support team can help.

Thanks

James

by DrRobin
Explorer

Hi,

I have the same problem.  We buy a number of EE SIMs and use most of them in a 4G Router which is capable of IPv6, but we don't use it, only IPv4.  These routers run IPsec VPN without a problem and the SIMs work fine on IPv4.

One customer has just purchased 3 SIMs for Surface Pros, they will only work on IPv6, but they use the Surface to connect to a VPN which only supports IPv4.

We tried using NAT64 (set the target to 64:ff9b:: then the IPv4 address), but that doesn't work.

We can't upgrade the VPN to IPv6. 

How can we get EE SIMs working on VPN to IPv4 addresses? 

by DrRobin
Explorer

Re: Is EE's 4G network now IPv6 only(ish)?

We are trying to initiate a VPN (to an IPv4 address) from a Surface Pro using an EE SIM, but it fails.

We have the IP address of the remote VPN router and it works on WiFi, but not via the EE SIM.  The EE SIM is only working on IPv6, we can test this by turning off IPv6 and just let it use IPv4 which fails to connect to a website etc.

We even tried putting 64:ff9b:: in front of the IPv4 address in the VPN connection, but this also failed.

Do you know a workaround?

by Jloldham Investigator
Investigator

Some of our users were able to set the apn's to only use IPV4 but
unfortunately for others they were not or when did could not get an
internet connection so they just moved provider.

I know everyone says that you should be using IPv6 but it's not that
straightforward and/or quick to do. Alot of planning and then implementing
has to go in first so IPv4 (Which when you take out new services still get
allocated as an ip range) is very much required and will be for many years
to come.
by PhilipL Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi

I've recently found an issue relating to this change as well to IPv6, in that tethering can cause issues and I found a TomTom would stop working when tethered to my phone.  It works until the network drops or switches from 3G/4G or back again, probably some bug in the TomTom device.  Using a new APN setting to set to IPv4 only on EE and its all fine.

There is a good post here about these sorts of issues: https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mobile-data/Is-EE-s-4G-network-now-IPv6-only-ish/td-p/697079

If you are setting your own DNS servers on the device (Google is actively encouraging this on the privacy front) to override EEs that can also cause a problem, as with EE you need to use Googles DNS64 servers and not their usual ones in order to get the correct pre-fixes for IPv4 only sites.  Then when you connect to Wi-Fi, those servers may not be suitable and will need changing again, something that isn't explained and may see a rising tide of people having odd issues.

by Matthew1471
Explorer

To the poster saying their router does not support IPv6 at all, you will not be able to use EE's IPv6-only APNs, the technique of prepending the NAT64 sequence just makes the address route correctly as an IPv6 packet. If you have no IPv6 support in whatever you are using then this will not work.

For legacy devices that don't use IPv6 you could find out what APNs are still giving IPv4 addresses and change to that. It's probably something that the helpdesk will best advise you through.

The difference between how the SIMs worked in the router vs the Microsoft Surface will likely be down to different APNs set on both.

If your device supports IPv6 then with NAT64 there really isn't a reason to not use it :). If you're hardcoding IPv4 addresses (like I was) you'd likely be better served by a domain name anyway where the DNS64 will make the transition flawless.

In areas of poor connectivity I experienced an issue with Android not realising DNS64/NAT64 was supported by EE and refusing IPv4 access (you'll note the virtual IPv4 address doesn't show up in your phone's status anymore).. but I believe that is mainly triggered in areas where there is a lot of interference and likely to have a poor data experience anyway. Rebooting your phone in this instance will force it to retry discovering DNS64. This is due to a Google quirk not an EE one and is likely what was observed with the user experiencing TomTom tethering issues.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.