by GreenAnt Investigator
Investigator

Which personal details are required to register a prepaid data sim?

I'm considering buying a new EE prepaid data sim (12gb) for my Huawei E5332 Mobile Wifi device.

I've read that these prepaid sims require registration and activation, which is new to me because I've used prepaid data sims from Three up to now (which doesn't have these steps, it just works).

Which personal details are needed to register a prepaid data sim from EE? (name, email, phone number, home address, bank/credit card, etc).

Thanks.

While I'm here - in the event the registration or activation fails, how practical is it to contact EE support from my non-EE mobile phone? Mainly is there a normal phone number which doesnt break the bank I can call? (eg 03x or geographical number).

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by GreenAnt Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Which personal details are required to register a prepaid data sim?

I went ahead and purchased the 12gb prepaid EE data sim from a third-party site, so to answer my own question in case it's useful for others...

The personal info asked for during registration is First name, Last name, Email address, postal address, "4G Wifi number" and contact number. Presumably only email address and "4G Wifi number" are actually required to register because only those fields have a red * next to them.

The registration ("step 1") is optional and can proceed directly to activation ("step 2") if preferred. That's what I did.

A summary of data and time remaining, along with a summary of the plan ("2gb every month for 6 months" in my case) will be shown, and the internet will spring into life.

On the whole, less painful than I expected. Though it would be nice if the package actually mentioned the aforementioned URL needed to activate the sim - I had to Google that info. Others experienced this too.

Compared to Three 12gb prepaid sims:

+ Faster

+ Better coverage

+ Slightly cheaper now (£19 vs £23)

- Manual activation (must visit EE webpage)

- 6 months (vs 12 months)

- Monthly cap (2gb/mth vs none)

- Data wastage (unused data at end of each month is lost). 

I've used Three prepaid data cards for years and have been happy, but after a week with EE I'm impressed. Download speed test while sim was inserted in my iPad was faster than my home broadband with Virgin Media! (88.5 Mbps vs 75.9 Mbps).

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Nowt special to buy one; just the usual stuff when buying online (from Pay as you go ). Start ordering one, go to checkout & you'll see the details it asks for before you confirm.

You don't need to register it once you've bought it. In fact the MyEE site doesn't work for registering MBB SIMs.

See my sig. for EE's landline nos.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by GreenAnt Investigator
Investigator

Thanks. It's not the purchasing of the EE prepaid data sim card which concerns me (I already know where I'd buy it from, not direct from EE), it's the registration and activation part once I have the sim card in my hands.

Reviews I've read suggest this (reg + activation) is a cumbersome step everyone bumps into. I'm just trying to establish if the info EE wants is intrusive given Three don't ask for anything at all with theirs. Does EE demand payment details for example? (Which would be odd, but I'd like to clarify nontheless).

Noted the tel number from your sig. Thanks.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

As I said, you don't need to register it and even if you tried it won't work. You just activate it by popping it in your device. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by GreenAnt Investigator
Investigator
Solution

I went ahead and purchased the 12gb prepaid EE data sim from a third-party site, so to answer my own question in case it's useful for others...

The personal info asked for during registration is First name, Last name, Email address, postal address, "4G Wifi number" and contact number. Presumably only email address and "4G Wifi number" are actually required to register because only those fields have a red * next to them.

The registration ("step 1") is optional and can proceed directly to activation ("step 2") if preferred. That's what I did.

A summary of data and time remaining, along with a summary of the plan ("2gb every month for 6 months" in my case) will be shown, and the internet will spring into life.

On the whole, less painful than I expected. Though it would be nice if the package actually mentioned the aforementioned URL needed to activate the sim - I had to Google that info. Others experienced this too.

Compared to Three 12gb prepaid sims:

+ Faster

+ Better coverage

+ Slightly cheaper now (£19 vs £23)

- Manual activation (must visit EE webpage)

- 6 months (vs 12 months)

- Monthly cap (2gb/mth vs none)

- Data wastage (unused data at end of each month is lost). 

I've used Three prepaid data cards for years and have been happy, but after a week with EE I'm impressed. Download speed test while sim was inserted in my iPad was faster than my home broadband with Virgin Media! (88.5 Mbps vs 75.9 Mbps).

by
EE Community Support Team

Morning @GreenAnt.

Thanks for coming back and letting everyone know 🙂

Hope you enjoy your EE plan!

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.