by Lewis-94 Investigator
Investigator

Where do I stand in regards to my network coverage?

Hi,

Where do I stand in regards to my network coverage in a crucial postcode area?

I'm not going to start off calling EE bad names, as the service I receive at home and around the town are fine. However my work postcode in which I spend 45 hours a week at the data is non-existent at times with data speeds reaching its capacity at 0.5mbps on a good day and a 0.02mbps upload speed. 

The website states no issues occur in the area however when I called EE I was informed differently being told that theres an issue with a mast in the area which is causing a overload on the current mast I'm connected too. Hence the answer to my speed issues. 

However, this has been happening for over a year now with my first complaint raised when I had my previous handset. iPhone 7+. - Myself and EE went through all the possible troubleshooting & diagnostic techniques and all failed, so in the end I was advised it most likely down to my handset.

In September 2018 I upgraded to the XS in hope the issue would be resolved however the same is still happening. It's like the postcode I am in is a blackspot that EE are not aware of as like a mentioned above their website mentions no issues in area.

At the time I upgraded in September I also opted for the Apple Watch Series 4, which brings my monthly bill too £110.00.

After chatting this morning on live chat as advised to do so, we again went through some more troubleshooting techniques and was told some updates had been pushed to my sim card and was advised to restart my handset. Again, this did nothing to increase my data speeds. 

The advisor went onto say he had applied £30 credit to my bill, I assured him I am not after gestures and that I want the data issue resolved. 

He has now passed my details onto the tech team I believe and I am currently awaiting their call. 

Now my question in regards to this topic is. - If EE fail to better my service and exhaust all their possibilities of resolving the problem. If I decide to leave will I be charged to do so?

Second question is. If I stay with EE and purchase 'Wi-Fi dongle' to use in this postcode could I expect a revision to the £110 I pay each month to partly cover the cost of a Wi-Fi dongle?

I seem to be going round in circles with advisors at EE and each advisor always want to do troubleshooting techniques even though they are the same techniques each time. 

Anyone else experienced the same?

I am aware of a signal booster box however Wi-Fi is not currently available at work, only ethernet cable ports. 

Thanks,

Lewis-94

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Where do I stand in regards to my network coverage?

EE Signal Boxes, if you can get hold of 1, aren't WiFi but connected by Ethernet. Your phone just uses the mobile signal to them over a short distance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Lewis-94   If there is a mast issue in any area and you decide to leave because of that issue you’ll be charged the remaining term of the contract.  No network can give 100% all the time.  You need to allow the issue to be resolved.  You might get some sort of reduced fee because of the issue.   I get very little signal at work from EE but I’m aware of this when I agree to a new contract just like you did when you upgraded. 

Purchasing another device will not reduce your monthly bill as you are purchasing another device.  

by Lewis-94 Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Chris_B ,

I only just found out yesterday that there’s a problem with the mast. The website has always said theirs no issues, it still does to be honest.

I upgraded as the final resolution from EE was that the problem is most likely down to the iPhone 7+ I had which I’ve mentioned above.

I understand the risk of upgrading but based on the only information I had, this seemed to be the only possible resolution.

But like I said it’s still happening even on my new XS.

Thanks,

Lewis-94

by Lewis-94 Investigator
Investigator

Hi @XRaySpeX ,

Are these booster boxes just for calling and texting (as I don’t have issues with these) or will it improve my data speeds?.

Thanks,

Lewis-94

by Grand Master
Grand Master

They're for data too but they operate only at 3G. I think they can regarded as an Ethernet connected local 3G mast.

You say you get abysmal speeds at work. Is that on 4G or 3G? A Signal Box could still be faster even at 3G.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Lewis-94 Investigator
Investigator

Hi @XRaySpeX ,

Thanks I'll have a look into finding one of these as 3G speeds are better than virtually nothing.

Thanks for your help.

Lewis-94

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

I only addressed your Signal Box issues in this thread & ignored your other Qs but as implied by the other poster, I think you are on dodgy ground there.

by Lewis-94 Investigator
Investigator

Update:

So it's been 3 weeks now, in the meantime I've been in direct contact with Executive Team, who basically have insisted I continue to pay my bill as nothing can be done. They have acknowledged an issue in the area and it's still on going. They are unable to give me a fix date but have said that I have no grounds to complain as the postcode I am enquiring about is not my home address where the contact is bound too. 

I have now been in contact with Ombudsman as received a deadlock letter from EE. 

The issues are still happening indoors & outdoors in HU10 6EB which is just off the dual carriageway. I have been told that their is an ongoing mast issue in HU16 5JQ which is causing more demand on the mast that covers HU10 6EB. Again EE do not know how long this issue will be on-going for. 

I get great service at home and on average use about 35GB per month of the 100GB I pay for. EE has used this as ground to state that I still get use of the service in which I pay £110 per month for. 

I spoke to Andrew in Executive team who told me in the letter sent that EE are aware of the issues in the area however when I check EE Network Status and insert the postcode it always says 'No Know Issues'. Once I report it I get an email saying the area is getting investigated however shortly after I receive a response and it says no issues found.

EE are cleaver and have a clause in the contract which states that they don't have to provide 100% services and that loss of service gives me no reason to exit my contact. 

But if I say this has been an issue since I first reported to EE in September 2017 should this still be covered under their terms & conditions.

I honestly cannot wait to leave EE and praying that the Ombudsman sees my supplied evidence and agrees with my case.

thumbnail_image3.pngthumbnail_image2.pngthumbnail_image1.png

Lewis-94

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions