by gazzaplus Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What is the APN for a Virgin Dongle connected to the EE network in Germany

Info regarding sim cards for international use.

GF
Gazza Freds

Reply|
Today, 4:05 PM
EE@ee-email.co.uk;

2 attachments 

Hi All,

I live in Australia and will be in July 2018 for 5 months  travelling through Europe with the first stop in Germany then Sweden,Denmark,Germany,Belgium,Netherlands and back to Germany.

I have a Virgin Dongle connected to my laptop and it works fine here in Australia on data only which is all I want. The initial setup required the correct APN and once this was done everything worked.

I want to buy from SimCorner here in Australia this  data sim card before I head overseas  http://bit.ly/2Kt9jEh  

but I can't activate it until I'm in Germany.

Here is the problem, I need to know the APN for this card corresponding to the carrier used in Europe and I have been told that this data sim card is an EE, or in other words one of yours.

The info given to me so far is for Android phones and this will not work, other suggestions for the APN is everywhere,eeinternet,virgininternet and so on. I need the right one.

I have attached 2 photos of the Virgin Setup that works.

Thanks

GazzaVirgin Dongle setup #2.jpgVirgin Dongle setup.jpg

[mod edit: please do not post personal information such as email addresses on the public board. Thanks!]

29 REPLIES 29
Valued Contributor

Re: EE APN settings: Where to find them

It's an unlocked dongle being virgin with an amaysim data sim which proves it is unlocked.

The details you sent me are not for my dongle there are only 2 parameters I need the APN and the PAP/CHAP.

Have a look at the photos I sent, if you don't have them I'll send them again.

* Name: EE Internet This can be anything it's just a name
* APN: everywhere THIS WHAT I WANT
* Password: secure USER NAME AND PASSWORD MAY OR MAY NOT BE NEEDED.
* MMSC: http://mms/
* MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135 NO FIELD FOR THIS ENTRY.
* MMS Port: 8080 NO FIELD FOR THIS ENTRY.
* Authentication Type: PAP THIS WHAT I WANT
* APN Type - You might be given a list to choose from, or asked to type something in. If it's a list, choose internet+MMS. If you're asked to type something in, type a * on its own. I GET THE LIST FROM THE ISP

This is the data sim I would like to buy before I leave Aus. http://bit.ly/2Kt9jEh

I have been told by simcorner that the data sim they supply is from EE, I hope I am talking to the right people.

I'm sorry I can be more helpful but 2 weeks ago I have not had anything to do with dongles/sims I don't even have a mobile phone. I am also a member of a number of motor home forums and they to are trying to help me, this is link listing APN world wide http://bit.ly/2wYwW5A I don't know how accurate it is and how old but the Australian Amaysim is correct the APN is "internet" but there are no EE providers.

Thanks again for all your help.

gazza

I think were getting close.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: What is the APN for a Virgin Dongle connected to the EE network in Germany

@gazzaplus  For a start you’ll not be able to activate the sim unless your in the UK.  You can not activate a SIM card on a roaming network. 

Valued Contributor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

This data only card http://bit.ly/2Kt9jEh is what I want to buy before I leave Australia for Europe/Germany. I have beentold that once in Europe I connect it to my laptop and it will auto connect to the network, well thats what the sales people tell me. 

My testing of the dongle in Australia was successful after the right APN and a modification to the Windows 10 registry.

All I want to do is have internet on my laptop as we travel Europe in a motor home or am I asking the impossible.

How can you help me.

gazza

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@gazzaplus  As I’ve said you can not activate a EE sim on a roaming network and you have to be connected to the EE network directly for this. EE only operate in the UK as EE is a UK network. When in the EU your connection is to a roaming network.  

Valued Contributor

Have you looked at the link i sent you, it's a Eu data only sim. The sellers of this sim have told me that they use the EE network.

Can you recommend a data only sim i can use in the EU.

Would the data sim work if it was installed in a mobile phone and turned n in Germany.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@gazzaplus  The EE sim will only work on a roaming network once activated and it can only be activated when your connected to the EE network and that only operates in the UK.  You can not activate a EE SIM card in the EU as EE are a UK network that uses roaming networks in the EU as EE do not have a network in the EU. 

Valued Contributor

how do we find out what sim this is? looking at the link and some of the reviews Quote "Sim card worked well. I had a little difficulty in starting out but was easily assisted by the phone company (Three)" Unquote.

This a reply from the Simcorner.

T-Mobile and Orange were individual carriers in the UK until they merged and became EE, so now the largest carrier in the UK is EE (equivalent to Telstra in Australia). In terms of their roaming partners in the EU, they generally have 2-3 roaming partners in each listed EU country so coverage in other countries would actually be better than getting an actual local sim for that particular country. EE unfortunately don’t have a list of carriers that they roam on but you may be able to contact them via their community support forum and request the roaming partners for a number of countries. I’ve had a look on their threads and managed to see just some that people have discussed but not much else.

For the 12GB sim which is with the carrier Three, we do have their list since it’s actually available online. Three’s roaming partners in Germany are T-Mobile and O2 Germany. EE is meant to have better coverage than Three and Three already have really good coverage.

We’ve never had anyone complaints about coverage with the EE sim in the EU. In regards to the Three one, the only things we heard regarding coverage was that it was spotty in mountainous areas of a select few countries such as Switzerland.

I would suggest maybe leaving some sort of question on the EE forums and get a response from an EE representative regarding your concern of the network carriers used in each EU country.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@gazzaplus  You’ve said yourself it’s a EE sim.   

Once it’s been activate and that can only happen when your connected to the EE network in the UK you can use this sim in the EU.  Your issue is and you’ve said it yourself in your first post,  your not coming to the UK. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What does it matter who EE's roaming partners are in EU? It will connect to whichever is appropriate.

The APN settings are those of EE, not whichever network you are connected to & should be set when you 1st connect. See APN settings: Where to find them .

PAYG SIMs are activated upon 1st use wherever you are & these were advertised as such to the OP. It is perhaps the auto APN setting that needs to be carried out in UK but this can be done manually.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

These are settings for android phones, where are the settings for broadband dongles.

I need 2 settings to configure my virgin dongle 

1] APN

2]PAP or CHAP, I think or something like that for the encryption.

gazza

Valued Contributor

Gazza Freds has shared OneDrive files with you. To view them, click the links below.

[https://r1.res.office365.com/owa/prem/images/dc-jpg_20.png]

Virgin Dongle setup 3.jpg

Virgin Dongle setup #2 2.jpg

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting involved.

This is all I know and it's not much about mobiles etc, this has worked for me in setting up my virgin dongle via a usb port connected to my HP Laptop. No phones involved, no android just 2 settings that I have to manually enter into the virgin program running on my windows 10 laptop.

1] I must enter the correct APN it is automatically done by the the program, but set to virgins default.

2] The encryption, there are 2 radio buttons can only select one, PAP or CHAP in my case here in Australia using an amaysim data sim, it is set to chap.

Get these right and it works like a charm.

Can you come up with some settings for me. Please don't baffle me with to much lingo if you need more info just ask. Can send you as many screen shots as you like.

gazza
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Don't understand that last post. Are we meant to see some pictures? Who's Mark?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

Gazza Freds has shared OneDrive files with you. To view them, click the links below.

Virgin Dongle setup #2 4.jpg

Virgin Dongle setup 5.jpg

Hi XRaySpeX,

When I hit the reply button I say MARK, then it disappeared, sorry about that.

Photos attached.

Virgin Dongle setup.jpg under the Dial-Up tab there is a radio button under the APN setting that I have to set to static, as dynamic does not allow a change. To get this to work here in Australia I had to do a lot of googleing to get the right APN and just to make matters worse I had to make a change to the windows 10 registry because I gave this dongle to a friend and worked perfectly with windows 7.

Over too you.
Valued Contributor

@gazzaplus wrote:

Virgin Dongle setup #2 4.jpg

Virgin Dongle setup 5.jpg

Hi XRaySpeX,

When I hit the reply button I say MARK, then it disappeared, sorry about that.

Photos attached.

Virgin Dongle setup.jpg under the Dial-Up tab there is a radio button under the APN setting that I have to set to static, as dynamic does not allow a change. To get this to work here in Australia I had to do a lot of googleing to get the right APN and just to make matters worse I had to make a change to the windows 10 registry because I gave this dongle to a friend and worked perfectly with windows 7.

Over too you.

ADDED ANOTHER PHOTO OF THE DONGLE WORKING.     Virgin Dongle setup #3.JPG

Virgin Dongle setup #2.jpgVirgin Dongle setup #3.jpgVirgin Dongle setup.jpg

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @gazzaplus

Thanks for posting 🙂

Are you discussing this here as well?

Just to keep things in the same area, so you get the best help possible, then it's best to keep in the one place.

Richard

🙂

Valued Contributor

I'm new to forums, all I want is an answer. All I seem to be getting are negatives no solutions to my question. 

I find this forum very difficult to use.

What is the one place ??

gazza

by

Hi @gazzaplus

Thanks for coming back to me 🙂

The one place I meant, was the other thread you'd posted in about this as I could see that you'd had some help from the community.

Richard

🙂

Valued Contributor

I have been searching on this forum for an answer and each time I read a reply from one of your support team that I think can help then I ask the question.

I made it quite clear that I do not have an android device, I have a dongle running under windows 10. This software requires 2 parameters to get it to work, the replies have been far from helpful.

I have sent screen shots to XRaySpeX,

All I need is an answer WHERE ARE WE AT??

gazza
by

Hi @gazzaplus

Just to confirm you have mentioned you are using a VIrgin media dongle, is this an unlocked dongle with an EE SIM?

If you are using a Virgin Media SIM, please log into the admin section which can be found by heading over to 192.168.1.1 and then using the following APN settings:

• Name: Virgin Internet.
  • APN: goto.virginmobile.uk
  • Username: user
  • MMSC: http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002.
  • MMS Proxy: 193.30.166.2
  • MMS Port: 8080
  • Authentication Type: PAP.
  • If you're given a choice of APN types, select internet+mms, or if the keyboard appears, the * symbol.

If you are using an EE SIM please follow the same process and use the following settings:

• Name: EE Internet
  • APN: everywhere
  • Username: eesecure
  • Password: secure
  • MMSC: http://mms/
  • MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135
  • MMS Port: 8080
  • Authentication Type: PAP
  • APN Type - You might be given a list to choose from, or asked to type something in. If it's a list, choose internet+MMS. If you're asked to type something in, type a * on its own.

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Richard

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.