by StevezF Investigator
Investigator

What is ‘Free data usage’ credited to number eeuk6050?

Hi, EE community,

Checking my itemised usage history a couple of days ago I noticed that there was a 2 minute ‘Free data usage’ credited to number eeuk6050 on that day in the late evening. At that time I was not using my phone as it was plugged in to charge and there were no apps open on it. I checked my usage again just now and this item was no longer on the list, but there was another one listed for the same number earlier today of 54 seconds - again I was not using my phone at the time.

Does anyone know what this usage might refer to and whether it is coming out of my 30 day data allowance, which appears to have dropped by 25mb in the last few days despite me not actually using any data-requiring apps this week?

Thanks,
StevezF

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: What is ‘Free data usage’ credited to number eeuk6050?

You get some free data as well with PAYG packs and if any app is running it may use a bit of that data & for some reason it is reported in mins in the usage report.

There are always some apps running in the background, perhaps checking for their updates & updating themselves. Try restricting background data & update only over WiFi. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

You get some free data as well with PAYG packs and if any app is running it may use a bit of that data & for some reason it is reported in mins in the usage report.

There are always some apps running in the background, perhaps checking for their updates & updating themselves. Try restricting background data & update only over WiFi. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by StevezF Investigator
Investigator

Many thanks for that - I'll check and see if anything's running update checks in the background

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@StevezF  Even if you turn off apps from using data in the background are you using email on your device ?  Is your email settings set to push or perhaps fetch every do often?  this is using data even if your device is not even being used and no apps at running in the background.  

by StevezF Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Chris_B. I don't use the Mail app but do use other apps via iCloud such as Reminders, so I guess there's no way of avoiding this. Is Push better (less data usage) than Fetch, though?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@StevezF  If you use fetch it’s best to fetch less often.   Ie higher times.  I personally just use push and I have 2 email addresses setup like this and I receive 40-50 emails on a daily basis.   If Fetch is used the mail app will check for emails at the time you choose ie 30mins, 1 hour and so on but it might not get and emails as you might not of received one but it will still try and fetch any emails in case there is one and every time it fetches it will use data even if there is no email to fetch.

Using push just means any emails that you receive on the device are pushed to your device from the server, so if you receive loads of emails a day push might just use more data then fetch but depending on how many times you fetch it could use less.   

I recommend push and have always used push on all my iPhones since the very first iPhone to my current device.

have a look at your device location settings as these also use data. 

Have a read of THIS

by StevezF Investigator
Investigator

Many thanks Chris_B, that's a great help

by
EE Employee

Hi @StevezF and welcome to the community.

I'm glad the information provided above has helped 🙂

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.