by Andyparker Investigator
Investigator

What are the limits on the data gifting? The TV adds mention a fair use policy.

I was considering getting my two daughters contacts with minimal data and then gifting them data each month depending on behaviour and chores competed. What is the fair use policy mentioned on the TV advert as I can't seem to find details on the site. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: What are the limits on the data gifting? The TV adds mention a fair use poli

@Andyparker  I wouldn’t say that’s a large amount. Around 10+GB could be considered a large amount.   

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: What are the limits on the data gifting? The TV adds mention a fair use poli

You need at least 500MB on your account to gift your data. The only, usual, Fair Usage policy comes into play when the recipient of the gift is in the EU.

See Gift Your Data and Set Controls

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @Andyparker

Thanks for posting on the community.

I can see you have had some great advice from @XRaySpeX.

Let us know if you need anything further 🙂

Leanne.

Investigator

Thanks both for the responses.

The small print in the TV add states that "fair use policy applies when gifting large amounts of data 3 months in a row". I was wondering what this meant exactly as I can't seem to find details. I was planning on gifting data on an ongoing basis as a reward but this statement suggests I could only do this for 3 months or less.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Andyparker. It would depend on the amount you intend to gift each month.  

Investigator

Probably upto 6gig each per month (12gig total). I have 30gig per month on my contract. They would be on pay monthly contracts on my account. Idea is they earn their allowance lol

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@Andyparker  I wouldn’t say that’s a large amount. Around 10+GB could be considered a large amount.   

Investigator

Cheers 👍

Is really hard to find any firm guidance so guess I might have to clarify with ee themselves.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Andyparker,

I like your thinking 🙂 (I've got the kids, so I know what its like)

@Chris_B is right when he advised it would depend on the amount.

You can still gift on a monthly basis to the accounts with the 3 month restriction. 

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

It's the 3 month restriction bit that is confusing me. Was hoping to do this over the life of the 24mth contract so the 3 month bit concerned me. 

Nowadays the best way to reward kids seems to be with internet/data. Oh, how times have changed!!

by
EE Employee

Hi @Andyparker,

My oldest would go into melt down if he ran out of data 🙂

But you can data gift more than 3 consecutive months aslong as you don't go crazy gifting. 🙂

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.