by Brizzoll Investigator
Investigator

What 4G speeds should i be getting?

Hi

Im currently in Bristol and i've recently upgraded to an iphone 8 on a 4GEE max plan.

I was expecting download speeds of around 90mbps, as quoted on EE website but im not getting anything like this!

I have tested it multiple times at various locations around the city and am averaging about 21mbps which IMO is nowhere near what i should be getting.

Anybody else in Bristol that can share their download speeds?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: What 4G speeds should i be getting?

It all depeds on the handset and time of day and how many people are connected to the mast.

What EE advertise i not what you will get. It is what you can achieve in the perfect conditions

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Brizzoll Investigator
Investigator

Well i am in a major city and have tested it in different locations throughout this city and im getting less than a quarter of the speed that EE like to throw around as typical download speeds.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Buildings can also affect this. So being in a major city means nothing.

You can get less then that in London.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Brizzoll Are you also running other apps at the same time as you do this speed test ?   Are apps running in the background on the device?    

by Brizzoll Investigator
Investigator

All apps shut down and tested in different locations at different times of day.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Brizzoll,

Welcome to the EE Community.

The results you see on the coverage checker are only a guide and not a guarantee of service availability in a particular location.

Coverage may be affected by a number of factors, such building materials, tree cover and weather conditions and how many other people are using the network too.

Thanks

James

by Brizzoll Investigator
Investigator

I'm well aware of what can affect a mobile signal so be assured im not testing my download speed whilst in a forest or office block or a nuclear bunker!!

As i have already stated i tested it in multiple locations around the city so are you are telling me that i can only expect download speeds such as what i have tested while i am in Bristol?

This is the reason i have asked if someone in Bristol can verify the speeds they are getting!

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I've just looked at a crowd sourced speed test data site and averages vary from about 20mbps to over 90mbps depending on the exact location in question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions