by Sarah44 Investigator
Investigator

We cant access our VPN on certain EE IP address, works fine on others

We use an EE mobile broadband connection to log in to a VPN, it works fine until we get a specific IP address allocated (213.205.251.118). If we reboot the router then we get allocated a different IP and it works. Does anyone know why it won't work on this IP and if there is a way to stop being allocated this one? 

We use a VPN to work remotely from the office so can't always reboot the router.

Thanks

Sarah

11 REPLIES 11
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: We cant access our VPN on certain EE IP address, works fine on others

Hi @Sarah44

Welcome to the community.

It's strange that it's one IP address causing you trouble.

When you say you reboot the router, is this turning it off and on again or is it actually a pin reset?

I'd recommend a pin reset if you haven't done so already.

Hope to hear back from you soon 🙂

Highlighted
by Sarah44 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Leanne

We switch the router off & on, by doing this we are then allocated a completely different IP (such as 88.215.34.209) and we can connect using our VPN fine.

Regards

Sarah

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Only a reboot is needed to trigger the likely change of public IP.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Sarah44 Investigator
Investigator

Yes, thats what we have to do as when the public IP is a certain one it prevents us from using our VPN, as soon as we change the public IP it is fine. 

by

Thanks for confirming @Sarah44.

I'd recommend speaking with the VPN provider to ensure it is set up to work with a mobile broadband connection.

If this is still an issue after speaking to them, or if it has already been checked, I'd recommend speaking with our customer service team who will be able to access your account and look into this further. 

Thanks, Leanne.

by Sarah44 Investigator
Investigator

The VPN works fine on any other EE IP address we are allocated, we only have problems when we are allocated 213.205.251.118.

by Sarah44 Investigator
Investigator

We also spent quite a while on the phone to customer service yesterday and got no where, at one point the advisor dodn't even know what an IP was!! That's why I'm trying the forum.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That figures!

@Sarah44 wrote:

such as 88.215.34.209

You sure that's an IP you get. I don't believe it belongs to EE.

You should be OK if you stay on 4G, IP's like 213.205.x.y should only be for 3G/2G.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Sarah44 Investigator
Investigator

Thank you XRaySpeX, this is first piece of useful information we have had!!

by

Hi @Sarah44.

Could you try following the advice from @XRaySpeX and let us know how you get on?

Thank you.

by Sarah44 Investigator
Investigator

Will do

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.