by PipefishUK Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

VoLTE on Samsung Galaxy S8

Hi anyone who's reading,

I moved to EE earlier in the year - the reason I moved was because now that I can afford it - I prefer to buy my phones outright and get a SIM only contract - my old network (Three) had restrictions on new services being available on devices not sold by them...

I'm sure everyone knows where this is going...

It was extremely annoying - buying a very expensive phone with features that I wanted to use and I knew my network supported - and I was paying for - but not being allowed to access them. Namely wifi calling and VoLTE. This led me to ditch my contract and move. 

I moved to EE with my S7 and all was fine, everything working. I later changed to a Google Pixel, all going well.

I've just bought an S8 - a £700 device - and discovered that EE has this same policy of not allowing features to work on phones not sold by them. I don't understand why this is - surely these are international standards and any variations are catered for or ironed out by the manufacturer who wouldn't want their device not to work on a major network in a major market like the UK? If Pixels and iPhones are catered for then surely a big brand like Samsung should be?

I don't like network customised versions of firmware - but I would have dealt with it if I knew this was going to happen - I've since searched the EE website and it appears that they won't even sell you phone outright - if they would I'd consider buying one from them just to make sure all the features worked...

I don't want to go through the rigmarole of changing my CSC or flashing a different version of the firmware - and I don't remember ever seeing a disclaimer to say that the features that both my phone and my network support will not work on SIM only - surely this is a breach of contract by EE to be advertising services as included and available that I can't access on my compatible device?

Are there any plans any time soon to allow VoLTE access on all compatible devices and to get rid of this stupid policy?

58 REPLIES 58
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: VoLTE on Samsung Galaxy S8

Hello @PipefishUK

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community today. Smiley Happy

I don't think this is an EE policy. I believe this is how the manufacturer works, for example Apple and Google have designed their phones to use network files which allows the phone to use network features without any customisation to the phone software, this also allows a customer to switch between networks and keep the same phone without losing any network features as the file is downloaded and you can use that networks features without any problems.

However, manufacturers like Samsung, LG etc, rely on networks customising the Android software to allow the network features to be used with a particular network.

I've tagged @Northerner and @BrendonH as they know a lot more about Android than I do. Smiley Happy

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Thank you @Inyourbox

@PipefishUK The S8 should have WiFi calling whether or not you have EVR H3G or BTU firmware. But Samsung has not made this available in the S8 or S8+ I had this problem with Three as it should also be the case with them.

I know @Lee_H was looking into this for me but one of his colleagues managed to get WiFi calling on theirs after retsarting the phone.

I am unsure the outcome just yet and haven't asked Lee again.

Regarding Vo4G (VoLTE) This was always the case of needing the networks firmware. Three was the same way. So you may have thought you had this but you never did.

You can always flash EVR onto your phone and get VoLTE and VoWiFi but this does defy the point of buying direct from Samsung.

I ended up flashing H3G onto mine as I am now with Three but as soon as I have confirmation BTU has fixed this issue I will go back.

But then there is an issue with flashing BTU is that you won't actually get BTU just the default of all unbranded codes which I believe in the Uk is XEU (Ireland)

Could you dial *#1234# and share the info please.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Profile closed
Not applicable

I've no idea about the handset issue sorry, however, you are not really missing much by not having VoLTE anyway.

It's not particularly good, it goes down quite a lot, the call quality and call drop rate is far worse than 3G calling ever was.

EE (and all the other networks) still have a lot of work to do to improve VoLTE.

Also remember that VoLTE is of no real benefit to the end customer anyway, it's only the network that gains as VoLTE is cheaper and easier to run.

Valued Contributor

WiFi calling works - VOLTE is the issue. 

I definitely had it on my other phones (the S7 displays a little VoLTE symbol when it's active) - this is also weird because my S7 want even bought from EE. When looking into this after the lack of it on my S8, I read that I shouldn't have had it on the S7 either. 

The Pixel didn't display a symbol but it stayed on 4G when making a call. 

The trouble is, I'd get 4G and VoLTE In some places that I now can't make calls without it. 

Valued Contributor

AP: G950FXXU1AQDG

CP: as above

CSC: G950FOXM1AQDG

by
EE Employee

Hi @PipefishUK and welcome to the Community.

WIFI Calling was available on S7 not bought via EE same as it is on the S8.

Many thanks,

Lee 

Valued Contributor

Hi,

I’m taking about VoLTE - not WiFi calling. 

VoLTE worked on my S7 not bought from EE (with no modification) - even though I've since read that it shouldn't have. 

It doesn't work on the S8 - I may argue that since its advertised as working, my phone supports it and I can't make calls in as many areas without it - that this is a breach of contract by EE. As no disclaimer was made when I took out my SIM only contract to say it wouldn't work.

I was wanting to know if there are plans to make it universally available any time soon as I'm considering leaving. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @PipefishUK

My mistake I read the post incorrectly.

That is very strange that it was working on your S7 as VOLTE is only available on direct bought handsets.

VOLTE is advertised as only to work with direct bought handsets.

I will certainly look into your final question that is not a problem.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@PipefishUK

It shouldn't have worked on your S7 not bought from EE that is the thing.

EE do advertise that you have to buy direct from EE or flash EE firmware to have VoLTE. This is not a new policy. It has always been the case.

The firmware you have is Ireland (XEU) and not actually BTU (UK).

Can you do me a favour and go to.

Phone > 3 Dots in top corner > Settings > scroll to bottom.

Is WiFi calling option there? It wasn't for me on my S8+

Valued Contributor

Yes, WiFi calling is there and working. It's something I've been using more as without VoLTE the signal has dropped a significant amount in my house.

My job involves a lot of driving, some in relatively remote areas and in the countryside. There are definitely places where I could make VoLTE calls where I can no longer make calls or just get no signal at all. 

Because it worked on my unbranded S7 and on my Pixel - I assumed this wasn't a thing with EE and it would be fine. There was no mention of features not working when I signed up to SIM only - I only looked it up when I changed phones and realised that VoLTE wasn't working. 

The annoying thing is, I probably would have bought the phone from EE if I'd known this - even though I don't like branded phones - but they don't appear to sell phones outright at all, only on expensive contracts. Which I do not want. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

The fact you only looked it up afterwards is no excuse I am afraid.

It is puzzling you had it on your S7 as this was never the case or advertised as such.

EE has only ever advertised VoWiFi regardless of where purchased.

If you really need VoLTE I would suggest flashing EVR. There is no difference to the firmware just some apps EE force on you which you can disable/uninstall.

by
EE Employee

Hi @PipefishUK

We sell all our handsets as a pay as you go option in our retail stores and you can place your EE pay monthly SIM into the devices.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

If you could get a reply on whether or will become available to all devices that would be good. 

Thanks. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @PipefishUK

Soon as I have a reply I will let you know.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Profile closed wrote:

Also remember that VoLTE is of no real benefit to the end customer anyway, it's only the network that gains as VoLTE is cheaper and easier to run.

No real benefit to the customer? Apart from having call signal where there's only 800MHz 4G signal, or switching from WiFi to 4G calling seamlessly, which is useful in cases where you have zero signal at home but plenty outside it? Just a couple 😉

Also perhaps a better battery life by not having two radios switched on (3G for calls and 4G for data).

Valued Contributor

Hi,

I decided to return my S8 under distance selling regulations as it was bought online from Carphone Warehouse then re-buy from an EE store.

I returned the phone, got my money put back on my card - then walked up to the EE store in Winchester only to be told that they aren't allowed to sell me an S8 unless it's with a contract and won't sell me a PAYG one.

This is really annoying. I've just returned a perfectly good phone because of EE's weird network policy then been refused to be sold another by EE for a full £690!

Now I'm stuck with an ancient phone wondering whether to just ditch EE altogether.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@PipefishUK wrote:

Hi,

I decided to return my S8 under distance selling regulations as it was bought online from Carphone Warehouse then re-buy from an EE store.

I returned the phone, got my money put back on my card - then walked up to the EE store in Winchester only to be told that they aren't allowed to sell me an S8 unless it's with a contract and won't sell me a PAYG one.

This is really annoying. I've just returned a perfectly good phone because of EE's weird network policy then been refused to be sold another by EE for a full £690!

Now I'm stuck with an ancient phone wondering whether to just ditch EE altogether.

This is incorrect. They can sell you a PAYG one.

You may have to pay £10 for a top up though.

Ask to speak to a manager.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Also it's a policy adopted by every network.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.